PDA

View Full Version : National Academy of Sciences employing blatant dark gray hat SEO

KLB
05-04-2007, 07:57 AM
I was doing some research today on a new report the National Academy of Sciences released the other day on wind turbines. Like so many scientific publications the bulk of the paper can only be accessed for a fee without significant hassles. When I scrolled down the page, however, I discovered a mountain of text in a super tiny 8px font. This text was preceded with the following comment:

Do not use for reproduction, copying, pasting, or reading; exclusively for search engines.

:confused: :confused:

In other words they are employing 1990's style key word padding to ensure to help push themselves up in the SERPs.

What the f---- is up with that??? How many sites do we know that have been thumped by Google for this type of games?

This is stupid SEO tricks that I would expect from a noobie SEO who thinks Frontpage is a great website development tool. It is not the kind of stupid trick I would have expected to see from the publishing arm of a highly respected scientific institution.

See for yourself at: http://books.nap.edu/openbook.php?record_id=11935&page=48

Emancipator
05-04-2007, 08:22 AM
its pretty funny

Generalissimo
05-04-2007, 09:22 AM
How do documents you have to pay a fee to get onto end up on google? I've notice google indexing them, then when you click it asks you to pay...

KLB
05-04-2007, 09:46 AM
Probably the sniff out the IP address and/or UA string of bots and let them pass, but make others pay.

Xander
05-04-2007, 12:47 PM
It is always amazing to come across things like this from places you'd think wouldn't expect but unfortunately there are still a lot of people and companies who do not know any better.

The allowing google to index but charging visitors is really annoying but I've seen it less than I used to, its not too difficult for google to counter.

Emancipator
05-04-2007, 01:10 PM
why wouldnt folks just read the cache rather then buying with the google method? I am not familiar with the technique.

Chris
05-04-2007, 01:14 PM
they disable the cache too