PDA

View Full Version : Learning PHP.

Generalissimo
04-24-2007, 04:33 PM
I want to create a custom CMS for a new site this summer with features such as a system that automatically looks for phrases in articles in certain categories and replaces them with links that when the user onmouseovers uses AJAX to get a short preview of the page they will link to.

Where and how and what should I teach myself?

MaxS
04-24-2007, 05:40 PM
If you're serious about it, buy a good book. I wouldn't read it cover to cover, but it will serve as a great introduction.

The system you're describing could be pretty complex, depending how you do it. If it has to take a screenshot of the page, it's going to be extremely complex (and would require knowledge of other languages). If you have a database of screenshots of all the pages, then I suppose it would be feasible.

Do you have any programming history?

Sites I like:

php.net
w3schools.com
tizag.com/phpT/

ozgression
04-24-2007, 06:35 PM
I'm also looking to learn PHP. What php books do you guys recommend? I know I can read stuff on php.net but I want a book to refer to.

rpanella
04-24-2007, 07:16 PM
Books and online tutorials are good to learn the basics and the syntax if you are completely new, but I've found that I've learned most by looking at other people's source code and trying things myself.
________
VOLCANO VAPORIZER (http://vaporizer.org/)