PDA

View Full Version : Not sure what to do with this site...

DaveM
01-04-2004, 07:50 PM
I created http://www.cellphonereviews.net about 1 .5 months ago but haven't made that much money yet, I've only tried adsense on the site.

The site consistently gets about 700 - 1000 uniques a day and 2000+ page views...

Can anyone give me any tips on affiliate programs?

I contemplated about sticking fastclick ads on the site but I think I would make more with adsense

lo0ol
01-04-2004, 08:45 PM
I think the best thing would to pop some Amazon links on there to the phones you have the info about. You should be able to get some good commisions from the traffic. One of our members actually has a site similiar to yours; I'm sure he'll be posting here shortly. :)

DaveM
01-04-2004, 10:03 PM
I was thinking Amazon too although I have no experience to it though and just have dabbled a bit with it on my realitytvclub.com site with not much luck.

I might try out Tribal Fusion for the site as I heard it gets high CPMs and this site might be able to get in.

lo0ol
01-04-2004, 10:21 PM
You might also want to take a look at FastClick. Tribal Fusion gives you high CPMs, but they don't fill everything. FastClick works well as a default to TF.

chromate
01-05-2004, 04:25 AM
You have a major problem with the way you've implemented AdSense. I bet your CTR is ridiculously low, right?

The problem is that you have your adsense way too high on your page. As a user you will click on a phone, the information will come up and you'll immediately scroll down to position that information nicely on the screen. The user even has to scroll down in order to view the complete list of phones. In both cases the AdSense is getting pushed off the top of the page and out of view (on a standard size monitor resolution).

Before going to any other ad networks, try increasing your CTR like so:

Change your adsense format. Make use of that right-hand column by sticking AdSense skyscraper in there. Make the border AND background color of the adsense the same color as your current background color in that right-hand column so it looks totally integrated into your site.

... Sit back and watch your CTR grow sky high ;) Trust me! give it a go and report back to us what happens.

incka
01-05-2004, 10:41 AM
I agree with chromate. The ads do need to be viewable while the user is reading the content.

Tribal Fusion generally require a minimum of 2000, but they may except over 1000 unique people. Shawn flirted with one of the female staff, so managed to get in with less.

I'm surprised Shawn's CPM as gone down, as the ads on his site are interesting and I myself click on a few.

MattM
01-05-2004, 03:12 PM
Yes, would have to agree with both chromate and incka, but it looks like you've done that now. :)

chromate
01-05-2004, 03:17 PM
Yep, I noticed the change too :) Still think the colors need changing to make it totally blend in with the site. At the moment people will just see it as a "set of google ads" and as such, may ignore it.

... But it's a first step.

DaveM
01-05-2004, 03:31 PM
Thanks guys.
After the change I checked the stats a few hours later and noticed a nice jump.

I will try this and maybe try the blending like ad once this test is over with

chromate
01-05-2004, 05:24 PM
Glad it worked. I was certain it would :)

GCT13
01-05-2004, 05:50 PM
Originally posted by chromate
Make the border AND background color of the adsense the same color as your current background color... so it looks totally integrated into your site... Sit back and watch your CTR grow sky high ;)Great AdSense advice; I tried it myself and also found an increase in return. :)

incka
01-06-2004, 01:40 AM
How come your website is blocked by websense as adult content?

DaveM
01-06-2004, 02:15 AM
Are you talking to me?

DaveM
01-06-2004, 12:21 PM
I am happy to say the site got approved by Tribal Fusion :D

And my CTR with adsense today is more then double the usual since the changes :D

Does Tribal Fusion frown upon entertainment sites? I might apply with my realitytvclub.com site, I think I could make some decent cash if I got in since Im hovering at about 13,000 page views so far midday here

chromate
01-06-2004, 12:46 PM
13,000 so far today? Wow. You would make some pretty reasonable money if you were accepted :)

DaveM
01-06-2004, 12:58 PM
Im slowly makiung the change over from extremedm counter to addfreestats. But Im wondering, Is addfreestats realiable? I find I get more page views per user with addfreestats then extreme, or maybe its extreme that isnt realiable? Im using them on different pages, so maybe people are more interested in the content that Im using addfreestats on.

http://www.realitytvclub.com/screenshot.jpg

MattM
01-06-2004, 09:30 PM
If I was you I would use a stat program like AWStats or AXS.

chromate
01-07-2004, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by incka
Tribal Fusion generally require a minimum of 2000, but they may except over 1000 unique people. Shawn flirted with one of the female staff, so managed to get in with less.

2k uniques? I thought Tribal Fusion only required in excess of 1k uniques?

Which member of staff did Shawn flirt with? Can I have her email address? ;) Seriously, the annoying thing is that they have no contact details on their site, so I can't mail them to bug them about my application. Grrr

DaveM
01-07-2004, 06:29 PM
Its 1000 uniques

chromate
01-08-2004, 03:57 AM
I just saw a post over at sitepoint from the network developer at Tribal Fusion and he says that 1k uniques is an absolute minimum and they normally look for people that are getting closer to 2k or above. I'm getting about 1600 uniques. Still haven't heard anything yet.

Ronny
01-08-2004, 11:16 AM
Tribal Fusion is taking the time to answer, don't expect to get an answer within the first week after applying, but you WILL get one, sooner or later.

chromate
01-08-2004, 11:30 AM
Thanks for letting me know Ronny.

Ronny
01-08-2004, 12:28 PM
No problem :)