PDA

View Full Version : What do you think of my layout?

Liz
04-02-2007, 05:04 PM
Hi, I just finished this template, and I want to know what you think of the layout. It's 1280 x 850, and I've tried my best to position items so that the main area appears for 800x 600 screen resolutions, and areas toward the left are positioned well for higher screen resolutions. I've boxed over some portions of it to protect some ideas, but what I really need to know is if I positioned ads in the right places.

I placed contextual ads in three places, and there are 3 additional image banner ads (1 horizontal and 2 vertical). I'd also like to know if you agree with my colors for the two Google text ads that are pink with black text. I'm not sure about those two Google ads at all. Thanks very much!

Hopefully my attachment will work.

Chris
04-02-2007, 05:08 PM
I think its too wide for one, as well the adsense placements, mostly at the bottom right, are in the lowest CTR location on the entire page.

Liz
04-02-2007, 05:25 PM
It's designed so if you have a 800 x 600 screen resolution, you see up to the end of the strip of buttons. People with higher screen resolutions see what's to the left of that, depending on the size of their screens. So you think I should only go as wide as maybe 1000 pixels, instead of 1280?

Should I move the 468 x 60 pink and black Google ad up to right below the buttons? I like the vertical Google text ad on the white block, because it's right next to links for shopping at the Web site. I think it blends in well there. What if I flipped it so that the 336 x 280 pink and black Google text ad appears above that white block, instead of below it?

Thanks!

Chris
04-02-2007, 06:03 PM
Yes, 1000 wide.

Also overall I think you need less ads. You have far too many... almost 10 units no?

Liz
04-03-2007, 05:40 PM
There are six ads -- 3 text and 3 images. If I cut it down to 1000 pixels wide, there would be a maximum of five ads. The spaces that say photos and text are actually for content areas. My newsletter promo is just to get people to register. Thanks for your feedback.

Chris
04-04-2007, 05:57 AM
Well on the right you have 4 ads that directly touch each other, that makes it seem like they are all over. Also still 6 is a lot for one screen view.

I'll put 6 on a page, but they will not all be above the fold, they'll be spread out within the content.

Liz
04-05-2007, 02:36 PM
Is this better? It's now designed to be 1000 pixels wide. The attached JPG isn't true to size, but it shows the revised layout. I don't really care if the 728 pixel banner overhangs. It looks much better with actual images, but I'm protecting a little brand, so I'm blocking certain areas. There are 2 text ads and 2 image ads. Thanks very much! :)

Chris
04-05-2007, 05:34 PM
Definitely an improvement, consider putting the right side Google ad between Shop & Hottest Trends rather than above both.

Then yes, the overhang looks funny, couldn't squish your logo a little bit? Or move it under the logo?

You gotta think about demographics. Now for this site I'll use a 1000 width because I figure most webmasters are advanced computer users and likely atleast run 1024. However many people still run 800x600 and your demographic is probably more likely to do it. So even at 1024 you'll have the banner half hidden, but most people may try viewing it at even small resolutions than that.

Liz
04-05-2007, 07:17 PM
Thanks! I'll do that, and I'll change the banner too. I really appreciate your help. Really, thanks very much.