PDA

View Full Version : Domain name expiration?

darsunt@mindsprin
03-28-2007, 12:16 PM
I recieved a notice recently from Liberty Names of America, saying that I have to renew my domain name. $25

This is odd. So this notice is legit? This company Liberty Names of America controls all domain names? I did not know you had to renew your domain name each year.

MaxS
03-28-2007, 12:25 PM
No, it's not legit. Unless you signed some sort of contract with your registrar, you're under no obligation to renew your domain.

Todd W
03-28-2007, 12:56 PM
I recieved a notice recently from Liberty Names of America, saying that I have to renew my domain name. $25

This is odd. So this notice is legit? This company Liberty Names of America controls all domain names? I did not know you had to renew your domain name each year.

They are spammers. Your domain may be expiring but most likley NOT with them.

Kyle
03-28-2007, 01:25 PM
I get these notices all the time... they're trying to get you to renew through them, and use their ****ty service.

It's a total scam.

You have to renew your domain each year...Most registrars charge anywhere from $8 - $20/year for registration.

You can buy multiple years at a time, up to 10 years in advance.

Chris
03-28-2007, 02:02 PM
If you look closely enough you should find the small print on that "invoice"

In short they're trying to trick you into transfering your domain to them. There was a lawsuit about it which forced them to put the fine print on there, they used to not even have to do that.

You still do need to renew your domain yearly, or after whatever period you registered it for (usually 1,2,5,10 years), but you need to do it at your original registrar (where you got it).

Xander
03-28-2007, 02:41 PM
Yeah I've got several of those before. As said above, its just a scam trying to get you to transfer your domain. You can always log in to your registrar's control panel for your domain to see how long is left before the domain expires.

Todd W
03-28-2007, 03:31 PM
I've been getting one on my fax line now :flare: I guess it's easy money for them.

paul
03-29-2007, 08:43 AM
When I first started doing a few websites I would have my customers register their own domains because I thought it protected them in case something should happen to me. A year later three of three fell for this scam. One even sent money without checking with me.

I decided the risk of my having problems was probably less than the probability they would do something dumb, so now I register them myself :)

AmbulanceBlues
03-31-2007, 12:49 AM
I got one today that was an "invoice" from a company that wanted $65 for "security" or something like that. It was presented as a bill that I owed for a service. It was funny that the first one I recieved came only a couple of days after this thread. I was quick to reject it out of hand instead of start calling people and raising heck.

That'll teach me to be lazy about applying namecheap's free privacy protection service.

darsunt@mindsprin
04-11-2007, 08:47 PM
Yup, my registrar charged me $8.99 for my domain name today. Much cheaper than the $25 that gyp 'Liberty Names of America'.

Can I do anything legal and not nice to them?:mad:

Generalissimo
04-12-2007, 04:13 AM
Just a quick tip: If you're on godaddy and have 50 or more domains there, it's worth paying about $100 for their premium domain account which saves you about $2 per domain renewal/registration. Currently I get .com's for $6.49 there.

MaxS
04-12-2007, 04:44 PM
Just a quick tip: If you're on godaddy and have 50 or more domains there, it's worth paying about $100 for their premium domain account which saves you about $2 per domain renewal/registration. Currently I get .com's for $6.49 there.
Wow, that's quite an option. I don't think Namecheap has an equivalent.