PDA

View Full Version : Yet another reason not to use godaddy.

AmbulanceBlues
03-26-2007, 04:09 AM
When they yanked a computer security site's domain registration because myspace told them to (literally, that was the only reason) I resolved never to use them again. I've also heard various reasons from publishers much more experienced than myself to choose someone else.

Then this:

http://www.sitepoint.com/blogs/2007/03/13/godaddy-dns-outage-hits-millions-of-sites/

Ubiquitous obnoxious marketing can (and should) only get you so far.

Chris
03-26-2007, 05:39 AM
Then again, with companies like Registeryfly out there... Godaddy doesn't seem that bad.

AmbulanceBlues
03-26-2007, 06:36 AM
I thought their registrar licensure (or whatever mechanism) got yanked. But the site is still up... Aren't they the ones who had their owners and managers posting each other's personal information on web forums in retribution? Didn't one of the fired managers log in and delete a bunch of account records from their servers? These people still have a license?

Though, I did read all of that on slashdot, so it could be true or not.

Kyle
03-26-2007, 10:22 AM
I would definitely recommend NOT using GoDaddy.

http://domainnamewire.com/2007/02/27/godaddy-deletes-domain-name-for-inaccurate-email-address/

Here is the old news story that sold me on never using GoDaddy again (there are more news stories).

I have been using eNom for years now @ $8.00 a year (prices vary depending on what reseller you sign up through). Very good track record.

Todd W
03-26-2007, 10:44 AM
I would definitely recommend NOT using GoDaddy.

http://domainnamewire.com/2007/02/27/godaddy-deletes-domain-name-for-inaccurate-email-address/

Here is the old news story that sold me on never using GoDaddy again (there are more news stories).

I have been using eNom for years now @ $8.00 a year (prices vary depending on what reseller you sign up through). Very good track record.

Yeah, eNom all the way.

GoDaddy generic response is terrible, their support are morons, and blek! I just get .info there try them for a year if they work move to enom ;)

ses5909
03-26-2007, 11:17 AM
I've been a happy godaddy customer (domains only) for quite some time. Things like this won't make me leave them.

Chris
03-26-2007, 11:39 AM
Did you know Godaddy doesn't outsource their customer phone support as a matter of principle? I don't know about other companies, but I know godaddy doesn't. If you call you'll get some dude in Arizona.

Johnny Gulag
03-26-2007, 02:14 PM
I've never had any issues with Godaddy.

Xander
03-26-2007, 03:17 PM
I've never liked Godaddy just because their addon sales pitch has also been too much in my face. I have one domain with them at the moment but thats only because I bought a domain grabbing option from them and later found out they didn't support the tld I wanted. My main domains are with Gandi and I've used them for years.

MaxS
03-26-2007, 03:43 PM
I just finished transfering all my GoDaddy domains to Namecheap. At this point, I'm so used to Namecheap's control panel that I don't really have the patience to learn GoDaddy's control panel.

rpanella
03-26-2007, 04:07 PM
I used to use Namecheap and never had any problem with them and they have a great interface. About a year ago I finally bit the bullet and got a $6.95 reseller account at enom and would recommend them as well.
________
Medical Dispensaries (http://dispensaries.org/)

allout
03-26-2007, 04:20 PM
I just quit using godaddy because things became a hassle, when I went to renew they charged me $8 for whois and I tried to delete that and it was such a hassle that I switched to namecheap. I have heard many stories from all of them so not sure which is best I started with Ipower but they don;t allow transfer to new owners without an act of congress.

AmbulanceBlues
03-27-2007, 03:49 AM
I'm with namecheap as well. I chose them on someone's recommendation here. I'm quite happy with the interface and the prices.

oolong
04-25-2007, 11:50 PM
All my domain at Godaddy,it seems nice.but my hosting at dremhost.

jasonk1234
11-03-2007, 12:53 PM
all my domains are with godaddy but hosted elsewere and all these forum posts about how bad godaddy is is staring to scare me. Think I'll stick with em

FPU
11-03-2007, 03:25 PM
I used GoDaddy for years, but I moved my entire portfolio of domain names to Moniker.com after Godaddy started REDUCING THE DOMAIN MANAGEMENT TOOLS INSTEAD OF IMPROVING THEM IN THE INTERFACE.

Most of the stories you hear bad about them is about their lack of hosting support.

Doug
11-08-2007, 11:41 AM
I've used them for all my domains and haven't had a problem with them yet. *knock on wood* I've heard their tech support is bad though, I haven't had to deal with them yet.

Chris
11-08-2007, 02:36 PM
Actually I don't mind their support at all, it is nice to know you'll be talking to someone in the US when you call (they don't outsource techsupport to india).