PDA

View Full Version : DMCA Request

MaxS
03-24-2007, 11:47 AM
I found a website that has copied numerous pages of user-submitted content from my website. I'd like to issue a DMCA takedown notice.

Rather than contacting a lawyer (as this is really a minor case), does anyone here have a template I can use?

Thanks

stymiee
03-24-2007, 03:24 PM
There are free templates all over the Internet.

MaxS
03-24-2007, 03:59 PM
I can't seem to find a full template. The best I have found is a list of what needs to be presented. I suppose I could form my own from that information, but I would like to make sure it's flawless.

Chris
03-24-2007, 04:37 PM
here is one I've used in the past, I got like 4 templates saved on my system in various places, I think this is my least favorite, but the easiest one for me to find.

MaxS
03-24-2007, 04:41 PM
Thanks a lot Chris, that will do just fine.

MaxS
03-26-2007, 04:09 AM
They complied. That was faster than I expected.

:)

MaxS
03-29-2007, 01:13 PM
Just sent another one. That's two in one week, lovely. :flare:

KLB
03-30-2007, 09:27 AM
I typically find that DMCA take down requests are quickly honored. If not by the website then by the webhost.

MaxS
03-30-2007, 10:33 AM
I typically find that DMCA take down requests are quickly honored. If not by the website then by the webhost.
I don't bother sending it to the website's owner -- they go directly to the host.

Still waiting to hear back from ThePlanet.

Westech
03-30-2007, 12:09 PM
Max, if you haven't already found it check this out: http://www.theplanet.com/about_us/legal.asp#pv

If you follow their instructions to the letter you'll get it done a lot faster.

When I run into things like this my first step is usually an informal email to the website owner explaining the problem and telling them to immediately take the content down. This isn't because I want to be nice or keep them out of trouble, but simply because 9 times out or 10 this will result in the content being removed more quickly and easily than sending written DMCA notices to the service providers. If they fail to comply quickly then I go the formal route with their service providers.

MaxS
03-30-2007, 12:36 PM
Thanks for the tip. I read that page before I sent the complaint.

My only problem with sending an email to the website owner is that they may take you less seriously, especially if the email is informal. I figure that sending am email to the host may take longer, but will ultimately be taken more seriously.

bassplaya
03-31-2007, 11:54 AM
They will be alot more serious after receiving email from the hoster

KLB
03-31-2007, 02:34 PM
Sending an email to the website first and telling the web host you tried and failed to contact the website shows a better good faith effort to resolve the issue without involving them. This can work in your favor with the web host.

MaxS
04-08-2007, 04:29 PM
ThePlanet has yet to respond. Looks like I'll be picking up the phone.

Edit: TP responded and complied.