PDA

View Full Version : can anyone register a '.co.uk' domain?

Apollo
01-03-2004, 06:28 AM
I am trying to register a '.co.uk' at enom. I thought that anyone could register these domains but I am getting an error as follows:

"Extended attribute: uk_legal_type is required.
User Defined Extended attribute: registered_for is required."

Has anyone got any experience with this? Is this error message referring to UK legal entity like you need in canada and australia?

Thanks

incka
01-03-2004, 10:03 AM
I can register them fine...

Who are you registering with?

I use easily.co.uk and they always work...

Mike
01-03-2004, 10:34 AM
Try registering at one of enom's resellers. I use namecheap.com, which I think are a reseller of enom.

Apollo
01-03-2004, 11:14 AM
so is this something new?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
.co.uk specific information (required)
This particular TLD requires some additional registrant information.

These settings will only apply to these domains:

**********.co.uk

Legal type of registrant contact * - - Select - - Limited Company Public Limited Company Partnership LLP Sole Trader Registered Charity Individual Entity Foreign Other Foreign
*Limited Company requires an entry in Company identification number
*Public Limited Company requires an entry in Company identification number
*LLP requires an entry in Company identification number

Company identification number

Company or individual domain is registered on behalf of (this cannot be changed easily) *
------------------------------------------------------------------------

incka
01-03-2004, 11:25 AM
You do need to put details in...

Apollo
01-03-2004, 11:42 AM
OK I got it through enom. There seems to be a requirement to fill in details relating to the ownership of the domain. I registered as an 'individual' to avoid any other problems that might emerge by registering as a company.

Apollo
01-03-2004, 12:58 PM
Thanks incka ... I should have studied the details more closely.

Here in Australia I have been dealing with stupid restrictions on domain name ownership for the last 6 years. The latest version is that you must be a legal entity and that the domain name must have a connection with your business.

This connection includes things like:

must be your company name or
must be abbreviation of company name or
must be a trade mark that you own or
must be a service you provide

so this last one means that you can register any name as long as you are a legal entity in Australia. You can register the d34vfg345.com.au domain name and say that this is a service you provide. You can see in this how they try to put restrictions on ownership but really there are no restrictions apart from being a legal entity in Australia.

I thought there was something similar in UK as it was asking about the legal entity and how companies require company registration numbers, but of course if you say you are an individual then that does not matter. Also, I had some dealings with .co.uk many years ago and there was no such requirement to give any details like this.

Mike
01-03-2004, 01:08 PM
I don't think there is anything like that in the UK. I could be wrong though...

ozgression
01-03-2004, 09:52 PM
To be considered a legal entity in Australia you just need to register an ABN, which is free and can be registered by any Australian citizen (I have one, for example). The rules are there to prevent "cybersquatting".

You are correct about the other restrictions but they are very basic, simple hurdles to jump :)

BTW, Do you own any .com.au sites?
________
vapir no2 (http://no2vaporizers.com)

Apollo
01-05-2004, 01:40 AM
Originally posted by ozgression
BTW, Do you own any .com.au sites?
Yes I own a few ... I am based in Melbourne

MarkB
01-05-2004, 04:31 AM
I hate the .com.au domain restrictions - I was even denied a .com domain back in 1998 or so by my (australian) webhost/ISP because they thought the .com.au restrictions also applied to .com names. Being new to the domain game at the time, I didn't know of any other registrars (I didn't realise I could buy them directly from internic).

(to save any confusion, I lived in Brisbane until early 2002)

Life-story over :p

incka
01-05-2004, 10:27 AM
I think their is something like this on .us domains...

MattM
01-05-2004, 03:10 PM
Yes, you can only register .us domains if you live in the US and the server must be located in the US.

ozgression
01-05-2004, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by Apollo
I am based in Melbourne

Me too :)

I don't own any .com.au's yet, though.

Care to share their urls?
________
drug tests (http://drugtestingkit.org)