PDA

View Full Version : General Site Issues

manonthestreet
01-02-2004, 12:13 PM
Ok, I have what I feel is a good domain, I built a site, I am adding content daily, I have signed up with linkshare and amazon, I build content that is specific to the affiliate products that I am trying to sell, but I seem to have gotten off track.

The overall voice of my site seems to be too broad. I am a web developer and I love to travel. My site is supposed to be about that, but then I integrated some community features that have me confused about my sites goal.

I intend on integrating a newsletter and selling some products i am in the process of creating....

My google adsense program netted me $30 bucks in it's first month so I feel I am moving in the right direction. $30 isn't a lot but it covers my sites hosting for 8 months.

If anyone can give my site a look and comment I would be most appreciative. It is still in it's infancy and not too altogether interesting yet....I used postnuke, created my own theme, and eliminated a good deal of the features that I deemed were unnecessary.

thanks

http://www.manonthestreet.com:D

Chris
01-02-2004, 03:47 PM
A webmaster/travel site? Definitely too broad.

Pick one topic and stick with it.

manonthestreet
01-02-2004, 05:03 PM
I see how you have kept the medievel costuming seperate from the swords. I knew i was making a mistake as it was becoming hard to create specific content.

do you have to use a different amazon id with many different sites?

Chris
01-02-2004, 06:38 PM
No. Amazon doesn't require you to have a different ID for each site (its an option though).

ozgression
01-02-2004, 11:41 PM
Nice site... but definately choose a niche.
________
half-baked (http://half-baked.com)

lo0ol
01-03-2004, 12:02 AM
I'll just back up what everyone else is saying- you have good ideas, but you're trying for too much all at once. You could probably split that site into 3 different sites at least. That way you can target more keywords, bring in more users, and ultimately make more revenue. If you don't even know where you're really going with the site, how are your users supposed to know?

manonthestreet
01-09-2004, 05:33 PM
I have to agree now that I can look at your perspectives and comments. The first indicator was that I began having trouble figuring out what content to create. I guess the more specific the better. I will be retooling my site in the upcoming days. thanks.

beasley your sword site is a kick *** idea. never in a million years would I have thought you could make money selling swords. I would have probably laughed at you if you suggested it to me. I guess you never know.....

With a domain name like manonthestreet.com can I use it as an umbrella to many smaller sub-domians:

digitalcamera.manonthestreet.com
travel.manonthestreet.com
webmasterresource.manonthestreet.com

or do I need to get new domains for better coverage? If I get new domain can I use a referrer [buydomains.com] to point them to the same server or do I need to register new accounts for each?

I made $25 bucks with adsense this month off of what I consider to be a strong domain name, I just want to maximize without spending extra cash.

suggestions?

manonthestreet
01-09-2004, 06:38 PM
I just went as specific as I possibly could. The hidden bonus is that updates from now on will be a snap [no pun intended], i have devoted the whole site to digital cameras - specifically the canon powershot series. Now I will comb through any irrelevant postings and delete. My project makes sense to me again.

good lookin' out....

michael_gersitz
01-09-2004, 09:21 PM
beasley your sword site is a kick *** idea. never in a million years would I have thought you could make money selling swords. I would have probably laughed at you if you suggested it to me. I guess you never know.....
[/B]

It works because there are not alot of sword stores in the USA or even the world. If you collect swords, you can continue your hobby buy buying online.

Something like candy that you can buy in every corner store would not hold to this because they are so freely aviliable.