PDA

View Full Version : Taking a share of Myspace's success

srjcstud
03-17-2007, 07:28 PM
Do you guys think there is oportunity in following the myspace model? I think social networking has just begun. There are going to be social networks for hunters, car enthusiasts, gardeners, and all kinds of other groups. Do any of you have any plans to develop a social networking site?:)

Emancipator
03-17-2007, 08:14 PM
over the last little while a ton of niche myspace sites have popped up. I know i wrote 2 in an afternoon but frnakly they are far from EXPLOSIVE in popularity lol.

srjcstud
03-17-2007, 08:19 PM
Why do you think they aren't working out?

Emancipator
03-17-2007, 08:23 PM
lack of effort on my part. I should say i have hundreds of members on each, in fact its probly more like 1,000 on each. It takes more then just a script to make it fly.

srjcstud
03-17-2007, 08:29 PM
It takes more then just a script to make it fly.

Sorry im new to web publishing, What is a script?

Mike
03-18-2007, 02:18 AM
Sorry im new to web publishing, What is a script?

Some programming that makes a site function the way it does...

Out of interest emancipator, did you mainly promote these through your other sites or completely separately?

srjcstud
03-18-2007, 07:12 AM
Thanks Mike!

What about a social networking site dedicated to connecting individuals with a common cause! Each group could create there own community. It would be an online meeting place for social groups such as Alcoholics Anonymous, mothers against drunk driving, the Care Foundation, Cancer foundations. You could even charge a fee per so many members a year. It would be an online meeting place for social groups.

KLB
03-18-2007, 07:28 AM
Srjcstud, based on your line of questioning in various threads I get the idea you are looking for a fast way to make money from web publishing. If you really want to be successful at web publishing you must be patient and be willing to work really hard. Unless you are extremely lucky you won't get rich overnight and even if you are extremely lucky it will still require a lot of hard work first.

It can take a long time (like years) to really become successful at web publishing (I've been doing it since 1995). It also requires being original. Trying to chase the latest "gold rush" or fad like MySpace type sites.

If you spend your time trying to figure out where the latest gold rush is, you will always miss out because by the time you learn where the gold is, it will already be divvied up by those who beat you to the scene. What you need to do is find subject matters that you are interested in and develop an "original" idea.

By the way, community based sites like MySpace and forums (like this one) typically are not very good income generators in and of themselves.

srjcstud
03-18-2007, 07:55 AM
KLB,

Your sending me mixed messages. You tell me to be original, but at the same time you tell me not to work with partners because that isn't the way it has been done in the past. I'm an entrepreneur at heart, and innovation is what I live for. I think I'm anything but unoriginal. Social Networking is only a type of website. Just because Myspace is a Social Networking site, doesn't mean no one else can utilyze the idea. That is like there being only one forum type site on the internet and then everyone saying, "Oh well, we don't have a chance to get our share of the "Gold" as you put it.

You seem a little hurt in your response, what's the matter! Everyone has to start somewhere, and so did you, so don't pull that I've been doing it since
'95 crap. Your not god! And Your Scared of Competition! Get over yourself!

KLB
03-18-2007, 08:25 AM
The reason I say not to work with partners is because partnerships require a tremendous amount of trust. When you go solo on a project you don't have to worry about partners holding up their end of the bargain or what is going to happen if a partner decides to pull out of the deal. The best potential partners are probably people you already know in the real world and can talk with face to face.

It would be foolish for me or anyone else here to partner up with you, because we don't know you. This isn't about being elitist, it is about being business smart. You don't go into business with those you don't know.

I get the distinct impression that you are searching for a gold mine where you can get rich fast and will chase whatever fad you think will make you rich fastest. I'm simply trying to get you to see that chasing gold rushes is a losing proposition.

Social networking sites are an example of the latest gold rush. Every Tom, Dick and Harry is trying to stake their claim on the social networking scene. Very few will make it big and those that do will do so because they have large marketing budgets and/or established Internet presence (e.g. Yahoo, Google, etc.). If you want to try and stake a claim on the social networking gold rush go for it, but I wouldn't and didn't.

What is it that you really enjoy (besides making money)? Turn your real world passion into the foundation of your web publishing empire. Look around the Internet and see where there is an under served niche. You will be much more successful if your sites are on things that you enjoy. Just don't expect to be making thousands of dollars in the first few months (or year).

Also if you want to make friends around here, don't be rude.

srjcstud
03-18-2007, 08:41 AM
I'm not trying to be rude. Despite what you think, I have better things to do in my life than to surf the web and stir up crap. However, I just have to respond to some of the ridiculous comments you come up with. I can tell you have absolutely no business sense or education. Some of the stuff you say is so counterintuitive to the fundamental laws of business, it even confuses me.

And don't tell me that web publishing has nothing to do with business, because that is all it is, it's just a type of business pursuit.

But most of all, please get off the wild tangent that I'm looking for a quick buck. I of all people don't believe in that kind of business philosophy. I know it takes alot of hard work to run a business. I'm not niave. You have no basis to say that anyway. There is nothing I've posted that would lead anyone to believe that. It is just plain stupid, stop saying that. I can with 100% assuance tell you that i don't plan on wasting my money on a get quick rich scheme.

All i was doing was putting the social networking idea up for discussion, just for the heck of it. But you bust in and start ripping the idea apart. Then you go find my other posts and try to rip them apart too. It sounds like your the JERK! Remember you attacked me, I'm just defending my ideas, that is a fundamental right in America.

Emancipator
03-18-2007, 08:49 AM
Some programming that makes a site function the way it does...

Out of interest emancipator, did you mainly promote these through your other sites or completely separately?

i really dont think that it could do well as a standalone so where i have done it, its part of existing sites. It didnt take me long to code it, couple hours of code. I think the issue is its low on my totem pole of priorities, at some point i will make some updates/corrections and work on growing it some more.

srjcstud
03-18-2007, 08:54 AM
i really dont think that it could do well as a standalone so where i have done it, its part of existing sites. It didnt take me long to code it, couple hours of code. I think the issue is its low on my totem pole of priorities, at some point i will make some updates/corrections and work on growing it some more.

What is the URL im interested in checking it out?

Cutter
03-18-2007, 04:53 PM
Take a close look at what this guy is doing right now with Demand Media:
http://web2summit.com/cs/web2006/view/e_spkr/2910
http://www.socaltech.com/interview_with_richard_rosenblatt,_demand_media/s-0007536.html

deronsizemore
03-18-2007, 07:46 PM
I have plans for a niche social networking site...but there again I've got a lot of plans and hardly any time to do them. lol

Emancipator
03-18-2007, 07:56 PM
im with you on that one deron lol

s2kinteg916
03-19-2007, 05:28 PM
If i i were u stud i would thank klb hes giving u good advice...

Theres alot of people out there that dont bother to comment and let u fail... trust me i know... i been there....

Skeewe
03-20-2007, 01:28 PM
KLB, do you think that creating a social networking feature on existing site may be good addition? Personally I think starting social network from scratch may be tough but when site has existing traffic it can be more successful. Do you agree?

KLB
03-20-2007, 01:33 PM
Chris would be better to answer that question. I avoid the whole social networking thing like the plague. I would expect, however, that an existing site with an existing user base would have a greater chance of success.

Skeewe
03-20-2007, 01:38 PM
May I ask why you are so against it? I am thinking to give it a try on certain website ;)

KLB
03-20-2007, 01:49 PM
It just isn't my cup of tea. I'm not even a big fan of blogs. I mean I have a blog, but I don't do much with it. What I really enjoy is producing content for my content sites rather than managing social networking sites and monitoring user contributed content.