PDA

View Full Version : Are multiple class C subnets still important?

paul
03-15-2007, 03:38 PM
I have been using my hosting company since 2002 but I am starting to get warning signs of founder burnout. I have a new company I have been testing with a few sites but am wondering it it would be better to buy smaller accounts so they are in different IP address ranges or if one or two large accounts would be OK.

I have lots of tiny, more or less unrelated sites and don't do a lot of linking between them.

Thanks,
Paul

rpanella
03-15-2007, 04:29 PM
If they are unrelated and not interlinked it shouldn't matter if they are all on the same IP.

One thing I have done before to is request additional IPs for my dedicated server from my host and it seems like usually they are from a different class C as long as you wait a while between requests.
________
Schizophrenia Forums (http://www.health-forums.org/schizophrenia/)

Chris
03-15-2007, 06:51 PM
Its fine, Google has cleared up the misconception in the past.

However, I do the same thing Russell does just to be on the safe side. I get the IPs for free so I might as well use them.

Chris
03-16-2007, 09:11 AM
That cross linking between sites on the same class C IP would result in lower values/bans/penalties.

Muggle
03-17-2007, 04:20 AM
But even now there's a tendency to buy web hosting plans акь вшааукуте providerrs with the only purpose to get different C and B classes.

Emancipator
03-17-2007, 08:13 AM
That cross linking between sites on the same class C IP would result in lower values/bans/penalties.

tks Chris this is good info for those of us on a dedicated server. I was also thinking of spreading some sites to a different host.

MarkTwen
07-25-2007, 01:26 AM
Dedicated IP's are usually sold in blocks of 4, and all of them in a block belong to one subclass.