PDA

View Full Version : site redesign

newdeveloper
03-03-2007, 01:17 PM
I just finished redesigning my site. I plan on putting a small slideshow on the front page soon, but first I need to get the pictures. Any advice on how to improve my site would be much appreciated.

Chris
03-03-2007, 01:45 PM
I find the design bland... but here are some specific issues.

1. Turn off body margins
2. Your gradient background on your logo doesn't match up with your gradient background on your header bar.
3. Make your top menu more overall horizontal.

Blue Cat Buxton
03-03-2007, 03:13 PM
Can you add any pictures - visitor submitted if you dont have any ?

newdeveloper
03-03-2007, 05:56 PM
Just one problem with that idea. I don't have any visitors.

rpanella
03-03-2007, 06:17 PM
Also, I would change your font to Arial or Verdana. Times New Roman is good for printed text but not the best for the web.
________
Toyota Kd Engine Specifications (http://www.toyota-wiki.com/wiki/Toyota_KD_engine)

Skeewe
03-04-2007, 01:47 AM
Design needs work definitely. I would change the font. Adsense unit can be better blended.
Maybe to put article and tennis news headlines on frontpage. There is a lot of wasted space under login box. My idea for that space: current ATP rankings.

newdeveloper
03-04-2007, 07:24 AM
Current atp rankings is a great idea. Why do I need to change the font? What exactly is the reason? Is Times New Roman overused or too bland or something?

Skeewe
03-04-2007, 12:12 PM
Personally I haven't see any site beside yours that use Times new roman. So I guess there is probably reason for that :)
It looks kinda unprofessional and just doesn't make good impression. Go with Arial or Verdana instead.

mark1
03-04-2007, 04:40 PM
Besides the readability, fonts have a big impact on the "mood" of the design.
Times new roman might be good for sites such as a law firm, pharm. etc.

Just to give you an idea take a look at this article about the use of fonts in Web 2.0 sites logos http://www.fontshop.com/fontfeed/archives/web-20-logos.cfm

Oh by the way that site is using Times new roman, so as you can see there's not a definitive rule.

For your site a font sans serif family (without the little legs) seems more appropriated to me.