PDA

View Full Version : Unlimited Web Page Height

Meegook
03-02-2007, 07:57 PM
I want my users to be able to scroll down my page for quite a length.

How do I allow that on a 800x600 design? Or a 1024 for that matter?

thanks much.

while I'm at it, do I need to do anything 'special' to my web site if I intend to add/include a php forum?

MaxS
03-03-2007, 12:06 PM
Hi Meegook,

Care to elaborate? If the content extends past the height of the browser, a vertical scrollbar will automatically appear.

As far as your second question: Your host needs to support PHP (and in most cases, MySQL).

Meegook
03-03-2007, 05:53 PM
If I understand correctly, all I need to do is insert a table into the content area and then fill it. the height will increase to fit the content, correct?

What wide is best for a 1024 laout say 1016? or all the way to 1024?

I also notice some sites have a 800x index page [home] but then a 1024 interior layout. Good idea?

And what do you guys think about leaderboards?

Thanks so much, I'm a blast learning this stuff and building a web site at teh same time. I'm impressed with how much some of you guys know.

rpanella
03-03-2007, 06:14 PM
You don't want to make it a full 1024 because due to the vertical scrollbar on the right side, the actual usable space is a little bit less than 1024.
________
Corvette c3 (http://www.chevy-wiki.com/wiki/Chevrolet_Corvette_C3)

MaxS
03-04-2007, 01:12 PM
Here (http://www.webmonkey.com/99/41/index3a_page2.html?tw=design) is a pretty good article on the subject.

Severe
03-05-2007, 01:05 AM
The scrollbar is 20px in width so you would want to make the layout 1004px width.

Meegook
03-08-2007, 09:57 PM
I'll check out that article and thanks for the other info.

I'm sure what this 'scrollbar' is but maybe the article will clue me in.

I'm stuck on something else now. I've finished most of my layout in Photoshop/Imageready, and then opened the file in DW to insert content tables. When I went to check the layout in the browser, w/the new tables inserted the rollover effects didn't work, even though they work fine when I check'd the page in IR in the browser before I inserted the tables. The tables are below the area where the rollovers are.

WTF?

The page was saved as a template. Would that make a difference?

MaxS
03-11-2007, 09:55 AM
I have no idea, really. If you're using Dreamweaver's WYSIWYG editor, then I suggest you learn to hand code first. Dreamweaver can significantly complicate things if you don't know how to hand code -- if you don't know how to use it properly, it can produce extremely convoluted code.

Meegook
03-11-2007, 09:11 PM
Dreamweaver's been working just fine for me until I got to this point, and if I can get past this snag, I'll have a completed template that I'm perfectly happy with. Not bad for an complete amateur working for two weeks during vacation time. :)

I just need to get past this one snag. I sure appreciate you guys and a place like this.

MaxS
03-12-2007, 07:43 PM
Either post the code here or paste it on Pastebin (http://pastebin.com/) and link us to it.

I have to warn you though, I've never worked with Dreamweaver's templating system -- but I doubt it's anything more than fancy HTML.

Meegook
03-12-2007, 08:35 PM
Here's the link http://pastebin.com/898056 Thanks

MaxS
03-14-2007, 04:18 PM
Just as I suspected: convoluted code. I hate WYSIWYG editors (unless you truly know how to use them).

Considering the rollovers are the problem, I'd look into the JavaScript. Open the page it Firefox and go to Tools -> Error Console. I wish I could help more, but I'm not much of a Javascript coder and this code would give me a headache.

Can you upload the whole website (images and all) -- that would make it easier. I can't really tell what you have from this one page.

What comes up?

Meegook
03-14-2007, 08:44 PM
I rechecked my page. When I open the .htm file in DW and then open the page in Firefox, everything works fine.

When I save the file as a template, and then open the template file in Firefox the rollovers don't work.

Weird.

Something about saving the file as a template...........