PDA

View Full Version : Looking for easy website building software, need suggestions?

tony101
02-28-2007, 11:14 PM
Hello

Looking for easy website building software, need suggestions?

I’ve been looking at Web Page Maker and Web Easy Pro. I’m just starting to make a two or three page website. I do have FrontPage 2000, but I don't like it.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks, Tony.

rpanella
03-01-2007, 12:04 PM
I've never used anything other than a text editor, but I've heard good things about Dreamweaver.
________
Star craft replays (http://screplays.com/)

veken
05-13-2007, 09:02 PM
I use Dreamweaver, but too expensive

deronsizemore
05-14-2007, 05:30 AM
EditPlus (http://www.editplus.com)for me.

Xander
05-14-2007, 11:31 AM
I use mainly notepad but now and again used notepad++, I find the speed of opening the program/file is important to me as I am always opening and closing it.

KLB
05-14-2007, 11:59 AM
I'm afraid like others I use a text editor (UltraEdit). Really you will find that the more serious a web developer is, the more likely it is that they use some sort of plain text editors as this gives us maximum control over our code.

Kyle
05-14-2007, 03:29 PM
Use Dreamweaver, it keeps your code clean... and its simple to switch from coding by hand to using their editor.

MaxS
05-14-2007, 03:34 PM
I use Dreamweaver as well. Do you need a WYSIWYG or just a plain code editor?

andyf
05-15-2007, 06:26 AM
You can also try Microsof's newly launched web designing software " Web Expression " though just run on machines having higher versions of Windows ( higher than XP)
Till Dreamweaver is my choice.....:)

allout
05-17-2007, 09:34 PM
I looked at Web Easy Pro but I don't think you can edit the html very easy which makes it hard to add ads and adsense. Iuse a very basic one called NVU which can be found on Google search and is free. It is an upgrade to the old Netscape Composer. It is both a WYSIWYG and a plain editor. It does not offer drag and drop or any templates but it will do the trick and has some pretty good features.

I would prefer Dreamweaver but it is very expensive and not in the budget right now. I bought a cheap older version on ebay but it showed up broken so still looking for a good deal on it.

I'm afraid like others I use a text editor (UltraEdit). Really you will find that the more serious a web developer is, the more likely it is that they use some sort of plain text editors as this gives us maximum control over our code.

KLB, this is true if you are a coder but I get the impression from his post that he was not nor am I. I knwo basic html but not an expert so I like the help of a good WYSIWYG program.

KLB
05-18-2007, 06:53 AM
KLB, this is true if you are a coder but I get the impression from his post that he was not nor am I. I knwo basic html but not an expert so I like the help of a good WYSIWYG program.
My point was that many of us really don't know what are good WYSIWYG programs (or don't believe good ones exist) because we don't use them.

lajocar
07-29-2007, 04:05 PM
dreamweaver 8 is by far the best software

morphedparadox
09-07-2007, 01:42 AM
Pirated (arrrr) dreamweaver FTW. :)

Spirit
11-04-2007, 08:16 AM
Hi
I use notepad but you might like to try Arachnophilia If I remember it seemed to be a rather nice free little software unit.

NightOwl888
12-11-2007, 06:31 PM
Microsoft's Visual Web Developer (http://www.asp.net/downloads/essential/) is a great tool to use, and gives you good control over the code. But if you are just doing straight HTML with no server side processing, I would have to agree that doing it in a text editor such as NotePad or UltraEdit works best.

KLB
12-11-2007, 07:56 PM
Microsoft's Visual Web Developer (http://www.asp.net/downloads/essential/) is a great tool to use, and gives you good control over the code. But if you are just doing straight HTML with no server side processing, I would have to agree that doing it in a text editor such as NotePad or UltraEdit works best.

I have to take a little issue with this statement. Nearly all of my coding work entails lots of server side processing and the advantage of a text editor like UltraEdit (which is what I use) is that it gives one EXCELLENT control over the code not just "good" control. VWD has the distinct disadvantage that it locks you in to the Microsoft product line.

For the vast majority of websites out there (including most dynamic sites) open source solutions like Apache, PHP & MySQL is a much more economical route and in many ways the exact same application written in the open source environment will require much less server resources than the same application written for a Microsoft environment.

Finally, Microsoft development tools have the nasty habit of creating really dirty code, which can cause lots of cross browser headaches. Using a text editor on the other hand allows an experienced developer to produce extremely clean code, which validates to W3C specifications (something I've never seen a Microsoft development tool be able to do) and thus has much fewer cross browser issues (or actually no issues except for where IE is screwed up).