PDA

View Full Version : Would this be profitable?

Severe
02-27-2007, 08:43 PM
I have been looking for ideas to make a website and it seems there is a lot of competition for most things.

#1 Here is one site (found a domain name that matched the keywords). The numbers were made using Wordtracker.

KEI: 473.299 (BTW, KEI seems pretty useless... is it?)
Count: 1265
24 Hours: 201
Competing: 3381

The most difficult thing I see is making money off of it because it would be an image gallery. Would you guys drop this idea or do you think it could bring in a few extra dollars?

#2 Here is another I would like to ask about.
KEI: 1557.748
Count: 56432
24 Hours: 8957
Competing: 2044343

Is there too much competition for this one? This site would be kind of like an online magazine for entertainment purposes.

#3 Here is the best looking one in my opinion but would also take the longest to make. One bad thing is... this site would probably be unused within a few years from now due to upgrades in technology. Another thing is, almost all of the domains for these keywords are already taken. This would be a Reference Site but combined with the ability to allow users to add to the archives.

KEI: 456621.697
Count: 107089
24 Hours:16998
Competition: 25115

Thanks in advance!

Severe
03-02-2007, 04:23 PM
Nobody? Guess I'll have to figure this one out myself.

Chris
03-02-2007, 06:43 PM
How do you figure your KEIs? There are many ways to do it, most of which I think are worthless.

I think you may be relying too much on numbers.

Severe
03-03-2007, 11:32 PM
I didn't get too into the KEI thing because I wasn't bought by it so I just used the KEI wordtracker provided.

So, would you suggest overlooking the amount KEI..?

r2d2
03-04-2007, 07:14 AM
I would say the most important thing is to choose a topic you are passionate about, and preferably doesn't have excessive competition.

Being passionate about the idea is really key, otherwise you just won't put the hours of hard work in that you need to make a site successful.

Cutter
03-06-2007, 12:55 AM
Yeah, I have sites where keyword research told me it was a great niche -- then they end up making $2 a day. Then again, I have had some of the best success in what would be saturated niches.

Ask yourself -- can I write about this topic off the top of my head every day for a month? 2 years? If the answer is no to the first, you may want to look at something else. If the answer is yes to the second, then run with it.

chromate
03-06-2007, 01:16 PM
KEI is next to useless. Just ignore it.

Best way to guage competition is to take a look through the top ranking sites. In particular spend a good amount of time looking through their backlinks.

Chris
03-06-2007, 01:36 PM
The thing with KEI is everyone does it differently, and while judging the popularity of keywords is usually done the same, judging the difficulty of the results isn't.

Most people do total volume of sites returned, which is horrible metric for competition.

Better methods would be bid prices in adwords

Or PageRank.

what I do is look through the sites ranked at the top and make an educated guess as to what I think the difficulty is based on my knowledge and experience.

k001
03-08-2007, 12:36 PM
Run a campaign on adwords to get the real search numbers, and use adsense to see how much money you make.

Then check the links to the top pages with the terms you target.