12-31-2003, 04:25 PM
Taken at 5:10pm EST (243KB)

http://www.portable-dvd-player.ws/images/20031231-times-square.jpg

incka
12-31-2003, 04:27 PM
I thought time square was closed off...

Shawn
12-31-2003, 04:33 PM
I'm moving in with you. I want to live in NYC so bad.

GCT13
12-31-2003, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by incka
I thought time square was closed off... Oh no, anyone is welcome to attend.

There are only 2 or 3 entry points to Times Square on New Year's Eve. To get inside, your coat is checked a few times and no bags allowed, followed by a final check by the metal detector "wand". The law enforcement presence is quite substantial.

Your location is determined by how early you get there. There are holding areas, "pens", at each block. Once you get there you're directed to the closest empty pen, and there you stay. So if you get there late, you can't push your way to the front. Once one pen fills up no one else is allowed in and the next pen farther down is opened up.

From the picture you can sorta see the empty pen directly ahead. All those people in front of me are waiting to get checked by the "wand" to gain entry into the pen. It's a pretty good location from there, you can see the ball drop and all. There will be a lot of people farther back who won't even be able to see the ball.

The people you see in Times Square on TV have been waiting out there for at least 8-9 hours. I like walking around there at New Year's - it's a hell of a place believe me - but only for a little bit. That's fun enough for me! :)

GCT13
12-31-2003, 05:54 PM
Originally posted by Shawn Weeks
I'm moving in with you. I want to live in NYC so bad. You might have to give up your car.

Shawn
12-31-2003, 06:16 PM
That would save me a lot of money. Even with the cost of living in NYC.

GCT13
12-31-2003, 07:19 PM
Housing costs are a doozy in Manhattan especially, but NYC area overall as well.

incka
01-01-2004, 05:10 AM
Why don't you go to Wilderness survival, learn how to make shelters and live in one.