PDA

View Full Version : Do you nofollow useless internal pages?

ZigE
02-20-2007, 04:30 AM
Nofollow links to useless pages like contact us/ privacy policies, that bring in no traffic whatsoever. If they're at the bottom of every page, I see no point giving them the light of day if they're sucking PR from the other main pages?

rpanella
02-20-2007, 05:20 AM
Yes, this is a good idea and can let you pass more PR to more important pages that you would like to rank for. This can also be done by blocking certain pages or portions of your site via robots.txt.

For example you'll notice forums like this one nofollow all links to user profiles, registration etc, to allow more weight to be given to actual threads etc which are likely to actually be searched for.
________
Threesome Bdsm (http://www.****tube.com/categories/1059/bdsm/videos/1)

KLB
02-20-2007, 07:21 AM
I use rel="nofollow" on most external links unless they are paid links or a link to another one of my sites. The exception is with forums. I do not use rel="nofollow" on sig links as I look at this as a way of rewarding people for participating.

I will also frequently use an 301 rewrite and link to other sites using something like "/links/www.example.com/somepage.html". In many times the "/links/" folder is banned in my robots.txt file.

andyf
02-20-2007, 10:12 AM
I think there is no harm in passing your PR to internal pages (contact us/ privacy policies) they are indeed important pages though they don’t bring most traffic.
Having good pr for such pages indicates your good work at SEO and your site seem to be more professional.

MaxS
02-20-2007, 02:52 PM
Yes, I nofollow both internal and external pages; There is no reason to let the PR 'leak' to useless pages.

izwar
02-20-2007, 06:51 PM
i just use robots

ZigE
02-20-2007, 08:04 PM
Hmm, is robots.txt sufficient enough? I'm inclined to hardcode it aswell

rpanella
02-20-2007, 08:42 PM
Yes, robots.txt is sufficient and has the same effect as adding nofollow to all links to the page. The main difference is it won't be indexed at all if blocked via robots.txt
________
*** AMATEUR (http://www.****tube.com/categories/140/amateur/videos/1)