PDA

View Full Version : Do you give EVERY link a title tag?

deronsizemore
02-17-2007, 09:33 PM
Well...do ya?

MaxS
02-17-2007, 10:06 PM
No, not nearly.

Johnny Gulag
02-17-2007, 10:52 PM
I try to, if it is possible. :)

deronsizemore
02-17-2007, 11:14 PM
I try to, if it is possible. :)

Figured so. Kinda what got me started on the question...I visited a couple of your sites and noticed that every link I hovered over had a title attribute. :)

Chris
02-18-2007, 06:27 AM
I would like to, I don't always remember though, and I know I have oodles of links on older sites without one.

KLB
02-18-2007, 09:42 AM
I give most of menu links a title attribute. I use the title attribute as a way of providing users with descriptions of articles etc. Some times it doesn't make sense to use a title attribute as the anchor text is enough.

Johnny Gulag
02-18-2007, 10:27 AM
Figured so. Kinda what got me started on the question...I visited a couple of your sites and noticed that every link I hovered over had a title attribute. :)I'm thorough that way. That is just the way I started doing it and I guess I got in the habit. :) Plus I cannot sleep at night if there is untitled link text on my sites. ;) :p

James
02-18-2007, 04:26 PM
I TOTALLY forgot. I'm gonna have to get on that one, when I start launching sites again.

mobilebadboy
02-18-2007, 04:49 PM
I've never given a single link a title tag.

deronsizemore
02-18-2007, 05:49 PM
I'm thorough that way. That is just the way I started doing it and I guess I got in the habit. :) Plus I cannot sleep at night if there is untitled link text on my sites. ;) :p

Yeah I'm the same way. If I dont' do something with a site, something even very small I seem to think about it all night or day until I can get in there and fix it. Just bugs the crap out of me.

mobilebadboy
02-18-2007, 11:36 PM
I guess I'll run a test and see if this really makes a difference.

Although I have so many sites with no traffic, I'm not sure which to try it on.

rpanella
02-19-2007, 03:41 AM
I have never really used the title attribute in links since most my sites were designed a long time ago and I never really thought about using them.

From what I can see (and would assume) I don't think search engines really factor them since they are optional and much easier to spam than anchor text, so I'm guessing they are mostly for usability correct?
________
Cl160 (http://www.cyclechaos.com/wiki/Honda_CL160)

KLB
02-19-2007, 06:51 AM
I guess I'll run a test and see if this really makes a difference.

Although I have so many sites with no traffic, I'm not sure which to try it on.

Do it for your users. With major sites like Yahoo news and vBulletin run forums giving article descriptions on the mouse over of links users will be more likely to look for the title description. With menus this has the great advantage that it could help you get users to visit another page.

Descriptions need to be concise and compelling. If they contain the right key words, that is an added benefit, but should be a secondary concern.

Nico
02-19-2007, 02:10 PM
Yes, i pretty much put a title tag for every link. Except for the ones that i forget about.