PDA

View Full Version : Lord of the Rings questions (spoilers)

GCT13
12-30-2003, 01:10 PM
I saw Lord of the Rings over the weekend and though it was fantastic. I don't remember the previous two movies especially well and haven't read the books; I have some questions-

What happened to the evil wizard, whose army was routed by the angry trees at the end of Two Towers? Was he still in his tower? Why would they leave him there?

The significance of the Ring... the Ring would have given the Evil Eye unlimited powers to conquer and rule the land? The Eye seemed pretty powerful without the Ring. A few more AT-AT Elephant Walkers with some reserve plantoons of soldiers and they would have overcome the Pirates of the Carribean ghosts and taken the white city.

How was the Eye tied to the Ring, and why was it destroyed when the Ring was destroyed?

michael_gersitz
12-30-2003, 01:33 PM
They never say what happened to Sauron.

THe evil eye I think was the guy in the first movie who lost the ring by the one dude who swung his sword and chopped off the guys hand. His sould was placed in the tower.

Does that even make sense?

I really need to refresh too! :)

MarkB
12-30-2003, 01:41 PM
Sauron had lost his powers when his forces were defeated by the flood (I think:)).

The Eye had great power, but without the ring it couldn't rule absolutely. It drew power from the ring while it existed, and once it was destroyed, then the Eye (Sarumon?) lost all power.

Best.Flash
12-30-2003, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by GCT13
What happened to the evil wizard, whose army was routed by the angry trees at the end of Two Towers? Was he still in his tower? Why would they leave him there?

In the Return of the King they changed this from Tolkien's (the books) version of the events.

Once Saruman was defeated and after surrendering the keys of Orthanc Treebeard allowed him to flee to the Shire (where he had some previous doggy dealings).

GCT13
12-31-2003, 10:22 AM
Cool, thanks all.

Chris
12-31-2003, 02:32 PM
You guys got it all wrong.

Saruman the white is not the "eye." The eye is Sauron.

Okay... Saruman, the wizard, is defeated by the Ents and basically stuck up in his Tower. This was in the second book but the third movie and it ended up cut. It will be on the extended edition DVD (I don't know if they will show his death, which is later and really unrelated to any major plotline).

Sauron, the big bad guy (the eye) poured part of his essence into the ring when he created it. Without the ring he couldn't fully enter the world (which is why he was just an eye). In the prologue at the beginning of the first movie you see him in his true form looking like a can opener and raising hell on the battlefield. If he had the ring he would be that and more.

The ring was Sauron, the eye was Sauron, when he didn't have the ring he was only half a man.

GCT13
12-31-2003, 05:47 PM
Thanks Chris.

Best.Flash
01-02-2004, 08:30 AM
Originally posted by Chris
You guys got it all wrong.

Saruman the white is not the "eye." The eye is Sauron.

Uhhh thanks for that Chris, but where did I mention anything about Saruman being the eye?

MarkB
01-02-2004, 08:48 AM
You didn't, but others (including me:p) did. Oopsie!

Mike
01-02-2004, 09:13 AM
Why Tolkien made the names so similar is beyond me. It's all a bit confusing:)

wrigh_g
01-02-2004, 09:17 AM
I have it....... lol (even though i dont like it)

So if any of you want questions answered ask me

wrigh_g
01-02-2004, 09:21 AM
Ok, forget my last post..... it doesn't make sense to me either

incka
01-02-2004, 10:06 AM
Just saw the movie...

What is this elvish lands where they went? I've seen a diagram of earth with a part off and a strange sea going to it, is this is?

Yoda
01-02-2004, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by incka
Just saw the movie...

What is this elvish lands where they went? I've seen a diagram of earth with a part off and a strange sea going to it, is this is?
Probably. They're called the Grey Havens...or the Undying Lands. I don't know much about them, beyond what it already evident through their name and purpose.

GCT13
01-02-2004, 11:10 AM
One more. Why was Viggo (Aragorn?) promoted from "Ranger" to "The King"?

incka
01-02-2004, 11:29 AM
Because he was... He is in the line of decendents to the throne that choose not to take it.