PDA

View Full Version : Anyone tried this (and succeded?)

darker
02-14-2007, 02:38 PM
Got a new site up and running, sort of a coupon site, but only for visitors in my country. This means less competition, but also not that many potential visitors.

Having a hard time getting the visitors, site is about 2 weeks old, pulling in about 20-50 uniques / day, mainly from Google. So, I decided to try something, I added a forum (phpbb) and an rss aggregator. So, I'm now pulling in rss feeds from mayor news sites, both general and hardware related (which is really who I want). Google has already picked up a couple 100 pages, but not to much traffic yet. I know this is probably not the best idea, but does it work, or do I just have to see?

KLB
02-14-2007, 03:57 PM
In time it would probably work, but nothing is instantaneous.

A few months ago Career Builder came to me with a "partnership" offer. Since I'm always looking for a new source of revenue I signed up and discovered they provided the means for me to generate custom RSS feeds of their career listings. What I did was created a whole mess of custom RSS feeds of their listings based around careers related to my site. I then used those feeds to generate new pages for my site. Not only has this created some great free content that makes great Googlebot fodder, but the generated traffic is generating me more revenue.

So yes RSS feeds can be a great way of adding fresh content to your site and attracting new content. Just make sure you are allowed to use the RSS feed as you are intending. Just because a site provides an RSS fee doesn't mean you are allowed to use that feed to create your own personal Google News clone on your site.