PDA

View Full Version : Preferred method of default?

Dan Morgan
02-13-2007, 08:49 AM
I am conducting some research into methods of defaulting used and would like to hear your opinions on the usage of the following 2 methods.

1. Traditional ad network, server based default, i.e. code is held with the ad network, ala Casale, Fastclick, Tribal etc.

2. Google AdSense javascript passback.

Be as detailed as you like, including the pros and cons of each.

Thanks,

Dan

Chris
02-13-2007, 10:52 AM
It isn't really an apples to apples comparison. Obviously you wouldn't recommend using Adsense on a site that performs poorly with adsense, or vice versa.

Quite frankly on sites that perform well with Adsense I hardly worry about defaults as Adsense gets a near 100% fill rate.

Dan Morgan
02-13-2007, 02:04 PM
Sorry, I should be more specific. I am not talking about the merits of the individual ad program, rather the specific advantages or disadvantages of the methods used for all those programs with which to provide you a defaulting system.

The method used, not the performance of the ad network, which is relevant. I used the names of ad networks to illustrate the methods I used.

Westech
02-13-2007, 04:12 PM
I'm not sure I fully understand. I understand #1, but what is a "javascript passback"?

rpanella
02-13-2007, 07:20 PM
I think by "javascript passback" he means where the default is specified in the actual ad code placed on your page (as in Adsense where you can specify a default url in the javascript) vs the traditional networks where defaults are stored at the network.
________
Maine Marijuana Dispensary (http://maine.dispensaries.org/)

Dan Morgan
02-14-2007, 02:48 AM
I think by "javascript passback" he means where the default is specified in the actual ad code placed on your page (as in Adsense where you can specify a default url in the javascript) vs the traditional networks where defaults are stored at the network.

:nod:

rpanella
02-14-2007, 03:55 AM
I would say that the traditional server based default system is necessary for CPM networks since using the javascript passback method would mean that default chains would get very ugly and complicated since you would have deeply nested ad code (one network within another within another etc) in your pages. Since most CPM networks only accept one site at a time and have separate tags for each of your sites, this works nicely.

For Adsense however you can place the code on any site that meets their guidelines, so your same ad code may be on a huge range of pages, so it is best to be able to specify different defaults on a per page or site basis. It would be nice to see Adsense enable the traditional default system on a per channel basis so you could set a default for a channel in their system and not have to change your code.
________
LINCOLN K-SERIES (http://www.ford-wiki.com/wiki/Lincoln_K-series)

Westech
02-14-2007, 03:33 PM
I'm currently using the ad network chaining method, but am seriously considering setting up phpadsnew to allow me to play with geotargetting, impression capping etc. and split things up among the networks I work with. I have a feeling I'm leaving a lot of money on the table just daisy chaining from one to the next.

Chris
02-14-2007, 03:47 PM
The thing with the daisy chain is that you are always going to lose impressions at each stage. The amount of defaults reported at one stage never matches the number impressions reported at a lower stage. This is for many reasons.

1. More stages/more download time/more chance user has left the page.

2. Chances are the traffic is crap traffic if the first position in the chain didn't want it. Second position in chain might not want it either.

Unfortunately, neither issue is really fixable on our end.

Dan Morgan
02-15-2007, 02:38 AM
Looking at the pros and cons of each method personally:

1. Webmaster defined url javascript variable on page (Google method):

+ Allows easy implementation of different defaults per page/area of site.
- No reporting on how many defaults (although Google specific, not a tech restraint)

2. Ad network server implemented (everyone else?):

+ No need to host creative html files on own server and can insert code block rather than single url.
+ Defaults reported within system.
- If different defaults per page or section required, have to define separately within UI.

Obviously the use of an adserver your end (PAN) changes things.

Micha Dugga
08-25-2007, 09:26 AM
The thing with the daisy chain is that you are always going to lose impressions at each stage. The amount of defaults reported at one stage never matches the number impressions reported at a lower stage. This is for many reasons.

1. More stages/more download time/more chance user has left the page.

2. Chances are the traffic is crap traffic if the first position in the chain didn't want it. Second position in chain might not want it either.

Unfortunately, neither issue is really fixable on our end.

Chris, I just posted a message with a question pertaining to this very issue here (http://www.websitepublisher.net/forums/showthread.php?t=8228).

Can anyone offer some insight on how to remedy this? There's no reason why we as publishers should have to waste inventory this way.

john190
09-12-2007, 10:12 PM
Truthfully, which one you would use for the default depends on your websites niche and traffic.

Dan Morgan
09-15-2007, 03:11 AM
Truthfully, which one you would use for the default depends on your websites niche and traffic.

I think you have read the first post and not the follow up posts. This is not about individual programs but the technical methods used to allow defaults.

yesmedicine
10-08-2007, 10:03 AM
it depends on your websites niche and traffic