PDA

View Full Version : Just met with ADP, a large payroll company

Erin
02-08-2007, 08:59 PM
Their reps were mad because I asked:

Is confidential information stored on a secure server?

They looked at me like I was crazy.

There were three women there. Woman A: I've never been asked this. Woman B: Are you trying to show off? Woman C: [silent]

Me: No, I'm not trying to show off. This is a simple question. I just want to make sure that my info is safe.

Let me ask you this--is the URL http or https?

[silence]

Me: Um, does a lock, a padlock, show up at the bottom?

[silence]

And so it went. The skinny females insisted that I was the first to ever ask such a question.

It went on and on. I let them show me a sample URL, and I showed them how it redirected to a secure URL.

It's funny. In this (Chris's world) world, I feel like such a n00b. But in the off-line world, people think I'm trying to punk them.

Weird.

KLB
02-09-2007, 06:55 AM
I feel your pain. I see it every day. There have been so many times where I have raised the most basic security concerns only for the other party to think I was either trying to create problems (e.g. show off) or being concerned about non-sense.

When I worked in a corporate environment (I don't miss those days) I ran into an incident where our accounting department couldn't properly access and use their bank's website. Being web browsers fell under my responsibility I ended up in a conference call with the bank and one of our accounting people. I about died when the bank tech support told me that we had to set MSIE's security settings on low. I said no. The accounting department head (CFO) went to my boss (MIS) who also said no. Not satisfied with that the answer the CFO went to the CEO and had a meeting with the MIS. At the end of the meeting the CEO finally said no as well and our accounting department was unable to use some aspects of the bank's website.

A bank, which is supposed to be one of the most security conscious institutions wanted us to compromise our security for their convenience--not on my watch.

candylady11
01-26-2008, 11:47 AM
Hello friends, I have a problem in payroll accounting. A company paid to employees weekly but they also get annual bonuses that amount to 8% of their annual salary. The bonus is to be paid with the regular salaries, but the amount of the bonuses and the amount of the salaries will be show separately on the earnings statement. Then it also says to withhold a flat 25% on the annual bonus. Is that right? Please help me.