PDA

View Full Version : Moving a WHM reseller account

r2d2
02-08-2007, 11:39 AM
I have decided its time to part company with my current host, and find a new one, so I would like to know if anyone knows how I would go about moving my WHM account (with ~20 cPanel accounts) from one host to another?

I have a reseller account with BlueWho, and am looking at moving to HostGator (reasonable?). I have around 20 domains in my WHM account, and around a 1Gb of data.

I have had a search to look for info, but haven't found anything useful so far (eg that doesn't need root access etc..)

Cheers,

Chris

Xander
02-08-2007, 12:58 PM
WHM has a feature for transferring over reseller or normal accounts as far as I remember, don't have access to one at the moment to check but it defintely used to be there. Might have to be done by the account setting up the reseller though.

r2d2
02-08-2007, 03:05 PM
Thanks, I have had a look around in WHM, but can't see any transfer option - I guess it isn't enabled. I had a look at WHM help, and it said something about a transfer option too.

I have 'spoken' to HostGator livechat though, and they have a system where they transfer the cPanel account individually for you - so I guess I'll give that a go.

michael_gersitz
02-09-2007, 06:53 AM
in whm, you can enter your old whm panel details, and it will transfer over your whole account...

r2d2
02-09-2007, 07:37 AM
in whm, you can enter your old whm panel details, and it will transfer over your whole account...

Is this always available though? Or does it have to be enabled by the host? As you can see above, when I spoke to HostGator themselves, they spoke about transferring each cPanel account individually (they do it for you, but you need to give them each cPanel username and pass).

webcs
02-09-2007, 10:32 AM
You "can" indeed move single cpanel accounts easily but you can't just move a WHM like that. You have to literally setup a new WHM somewhere, then transfer the accounts in one by one. Then you have to make sure that all of the software versions on your old host are identical or close to it. If you do this right, you should be able to transfer yourself over to the new host with little or no downtime. If you do it wrong, major downtime.

You are in pretty good shape if under 40 or so accounts.

We've become quite specialized at doing this over the years.

Also note, the cpanel backup system ban be used, but there are instances where some cpanel backups will not restore do to their site or their content. There are some tricks to getting an account like this transfered over.

If you want send us an email. We should be able to assist you as we have a new server being setup Saturday, if interested. Will likely be able to do all the work for you.

r2d2
02-09-2007, 11:09 AM
You "can" indeed ...

Ok, thanks for the offer, the new host has said they will do them all for me though, so it should all be fine. I'll get them all transferred, then check them before changing the DNS to point to the new host.

mishytka
03-29-2007, 01:47 AM
Ok, thanks for the offer, the new host has said they will do them all for me though, so it should all be fine. I'll get them all transferred, then check them before changing the DNS to point to the new host.
How much does transfer service cost?

webcs
07-16-2007, 08:15 AM
How much does transfer service cost?

Can usually do it for free for 20 or less accounts. It depends though on your host, if they are slow to the point of insanity then no matter what you do you won't be able to backup your files properly.

So do not wait until the server becomes slow, the first sign of trouble get out of there. Cpanel will not backup fully if one server is faulty.