PDA

View Full Version : Linking sites with same IPs

mobilebadboy
02-01-2007, 08:49 PM
I posted this at J. Palmer's site, figured while I was curious I'd post here for opinions as well. I know about the whole class C IP deal, but I always assumed that was for interlinking sites.

My thing is, I've got one parent site, and several secondary sites. All of the secondary sites run under the parent site name, and in the footer (with my ©) I link back to the parent site. The parent site links to none of the other sites, none of the other sites link to each other. Will this cause problems just as if I was interlinking them all?

I've got a server, 2 name servers, all the sites use the same NS's.

I ask because anything new I put online, whether it be on an older site or a brand new site, goes STRAIGHT to Supplemental. Datafeed pages I could care less, I know they'll go Supplemental, but I'm talking about original and near original articles/pages/etc.

I dislike Google enough as it is, but this is really starting to get under my skin.

Chris
02-02-2007, 07:53 AM
There are no problems with interlinking from a single IP. That is mostly a myth. Someone at one point read it in a Google patent, a patent Google has never said they use, and ran with it.

While it isn't a bad idea to get a different IP Address for your parent site (ips are cheap or free and it is better to be safe than sorry) I've never seen any actual proof it is needed.

Now if Google does use IP data when looking it links it is likely in spam filters, to discover spam rings, probably in the private toolkit Matt Cutts is always talking about. Not as part of their ranking algorithm.