PDA

View Full Version : Its scary out there.

Chris
02-01-2007, 10:21 AM
I was doing some participating at the SE Roundtable forums, and I got keyed in to a thread at DigitalPoint. If you just read here and SitePoint you end up fairly nicely insulated against all the crap out there. It is amazing what some people believe.

Take this quote from this DP (http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showthread.php?t=226771) thread for instance:

PR is and always has been over-rated. First of all it has never given any good data. PR cannot be used to identify whether a site is better or has more rankings. Google doesn't use it to rank sites. All it does is attempt to identify the percentage of the whole internet that links to you IMO. That is why the higher you go(7+) it is the hardest to get. But it still is basically useless. The only reason Google will not admit it is because so many of you crazed webmasters are chasing it and if they say heck it don't work and is useless you guys may all stop using the Google toolbar. You see they got you hooked

The dude who posted that runs an SEO forum, a crappy one with like 23 posts but still he thinks enough of himself to call himself an expert.

Then, on SE roundtable someone told me that getting too many links can be a bad thing because it'll raise a red flag because he uses software to get thousands of link exchanges and since they're exchanges he adds all their URLs on different pages on his site, actually creating new pages on his site just to house these links and that raises a red flag sometimes. He cannot grasp that it isn't the incoming links that are raising the red flag, its the spam he puts on his site that is doing it.

KLB
02-01-2007, 11:05 AM
I was reading some of those threads over at DP. It is amazing how clueless some of those self proclaimed experts are. No wonder SEO is so easy for those who are truly clued in; we have no competition because our "competition" is busy worrying about the conspiracy theory of the week.

paul
02-01-2007, 02:02 PM
For a change of pace you could wander over to prosper dot com and watch people make low interest loans to borrowers with bad credit. Of course, they think they are making high yield investments :)

TTD
02-01-2007, 07:47 PM
This sort of thing is why I'm happy I found my way over here from Sitepoint instead of accidently wandering to a forum run by someone who doesn't have the knowledge the people on here have.

AmbulanceBlues
02-02-2007, 07:26 PM
This sort of thing is why I'm happy I found my way over here from Sitepoint instead of accidently wandering to a forum run by someone who doesn't have the knowledge the people on here have.

DDDDDDDDDDddddddddddddiiiiiiiiitttttttttttttttoooo ooooooooooo. :lol:

Now I think I'm gonna go over to prosper and see about gettin' me some vantyurr kapitull. And beer money.