PDA

View Full Version : Does/Did Yahoo flag paid inclusions to its directory?

Apollo
12-27-2003, 12:15 AM
I have been waiting for a free listing in Yahoo for a while but it seems like it is not going to happen so it looks like I am going to have to pay and just hope they put me in a nice category.

Recently I read someone say that Yahoo had stopped flagging paid inclusion sites. I never looked very closely at Yahoo so I was not aware of how they were managing paid and unpaid inclusions.

Can someone tell me whether the paid and unpaid inclusions now appear exaxctly the same on Yahoo (directory and search results)? (and did they ever appear different?)

It would not be good for me to have a paid inclusion flagged as such because that would deter some users from using my site in the same way that 'sponsored result' does.

Thanks

ozgression
12-27-2003, 12:30 AM
Not sure what you mean by "flagged" or "flag" but I know Yahoo doesn't include it's directory listings in it's search results anymore.

I really don't think it is worth paying to be listed in Yahoo anymore due to the rise of Google. Even Yahoo's search engine uses Google results (although, for how much longer, no-one knows).

What is the catergory of your site?
________
vaporgenie (http://vaporizers.net/vapor-genie)

Apollo
12-27-2003, 01:23 AM
By 'flagged' I mean has a way of notifying the user that it is a paid inclusion such as with words (e.g. "sponsored listing") or with some sort of symbol.

My site is in the education area and the category I want to get into at Yahoo only has 2 sites listed and they are both above me in google on my main search terms. Also, the Yahoo category itself is listed in the top 10 for some of the search terms, it is number 12 today for the main term but gets as high as 6 on others.

I got a quote for $495 a month for a link from a PR8 which already has a few links. I think that the boost I would get from Yahoo would be better value than this. The only problem is ... I cannot guarantee that they will put me in the category I want and should be in. But I might have to give it a try or I believe I will have too much difficulty staying where I am let alone moving up a bit further. I have been hit hard by the changes with stemming and authority sites because in the education area the institutions and government departments have come to dominate for a lot of search terms that I use.

Chris
12-27-2003, 08:41 AM
Yahoo does not differentiate between paid or unpaid directory listings.

They do differentiate between paid or unpaid search results (paid ones being those from Overture).

I think Yahoo is worth it for an ecommerce site.