PDA

View Full Version : Google Index Strategies

delpino
01-24-2007, 05:50 AM
Hi there,

compared to one year ago the number of indexed pages of my websites on Google is about one third.

I wonder if Google will assign space on their servers according to PageRank. The higher the PageRank the more pages will be indexed? At least thats how I would do it if I would operate Google and I had limited server space. This might also be an effective way to fight "Made for Adsense" sites, since those sites don't have a high PageRank and thus wouldn't have many pages in the index.

So wouldn't it be better to instruct Google not to index less important pages so that its more likely that at least the keyword rich pages are indexed?

With "instruct not to index" I mean this meta tag:

<meta name="robots" content="noindex,follow">

This might also have the advantage that no PR is leaked to unimportant pages.

What do you think?

Chris
01-24-2007, 07:34 AM
No no.

Google has two indexes now, the main index and the supplemental index. PageRank is a deciding factor, among other things, for getting in the main index, but otherwise you're still in the supplemental index. Generally too, because you link to your other site pages, and they link back to the main pages, you don't lose much PR through it, not like an unreciprocated external link.

So rather than trying to cannibalize parts of your own site, redouble your efforts on getting new incoming links. Also, check your site for duplicate content and change it if you find it.

andyf
01-24-2007, 10:28 AM
IMO if your inner pages do not have an backlink then it may get out of Google's index, so try to get backlinks for inner pages also.

Chris
01-24-2007, 10:48 AM
Oh definitely, one mistake often made is people optimize and promote their homepage, but forget that they can do the same things for their subpages.

delpino
01-29-2007, 07:25 AM
I'm talking about telling Google not to index completely pointless pages for search engines like user profile pages, etc. Still think its better to exclude it from the index in case there is a limit of how many pages are indexed.

ses5909
01-29-2007, 11:23 AM
I'm talking about telling Google not to index completely pointless pages for search engines like user profile pages, etc. Still think its better to exclude it from the index in case there is a limit of how many pages are indexed.

I have never heard of a limit for the number of pages google indexes.

KLB
01-29-2007, 11:27 AM
Oh definitely, one mistake often made is people optimize and promote their homepage, but forget that they can do the same things for their subpages.

Promoting subpages can actually be easier and more effective than trying to promote the home page on some sites.