PDA

View Full Version : Forum registration

newdeveloper
01-21-2007, 08:06 AM
If you have a forum, about how many people register compared to just viewing it as a guest. Are there any ways to increase the ratio of registered to nonregistered?

Chris
01-21-2007, 08:55 AM
There certainly are ways.

Turning off email verification will help (but also increase spam).

If you run vbulletin (I know you don't yet) search on vbulletin.org for a "Welcome Header" hack, it makes registering a little more user friendly (doubled one of my registration rates).

newdeveloper
01-21-2007, 11:02 AM
thx, for the tips

Muggle
01-22-2007, 12:43 AM
I detest the idea of making people register to get some info they can on your forum, so many times it's happened to me when I found something I needed in the Google, then went to the forum, and then bang! you've got to register to read more of that... I think forum admunistrators think of other ways to attract registered visitors and keep them on the forum, theses are quality content, fresh topical threads, a group of pro members, bonuses, etc. Just 2 cents from a registered member of the forum.

newdeveloper
01-22-2007, 06:07 AM
Anyone can view the forums, but only registered users can post.

Chris
01-22-2007, 07:43 AM
I detest the idea of making people register to get some info they can on your forum, so many times it's happened to me when I found something I needed in the Google, then went to the forum, and then bang! you've got to register to read more of that... I think forum admunistrators think of other ways to attract registered visitors and keep them on the forum, theses are quality content, fresh topical threads, a group of pro members, bonuses, etc. Just 2 cents from a registered member of the forum.
Very few forums do that, making people register to view content. The main one is WebMythWorld, and they're only able to do it because Google allows them to cloak.

GeorgeB
01-22-2007, 08:11 AM
Very few forums do that, making people register to view content. The main one is WebMythWorld, and they're only able to do it because Google allows them to cloak.
You know I never looked at it that way but you're right. How the heck do they get away with that?

I thought they told Google they didn't want to be in the index anymore..?