PDA

View Full Version : Images that stretch

Duke
12-25-2003, 01:18 AM
I'm trying to make images that will stretch to fit if the screen resolution is 1024 x 768 right up to 1600 x 1200. For the life of me I can't figure out how to do it.

Also, I have a nifty border for my news articles to fit in and need that to stretch to whatever text, images, etc., that I place. Are there any tutorials on how to accomplish my goals?

Mike
12-25-2003, 04:09 AM
Set the width of it to 100% could do the trick.

Duke
12-25-2003, 10:06 AM
Setting the image to 100% does stretch the image to whatever resolution I use, however it also distorts the image as well. The side borders widen as well as text and then the whole thing looks crappy. Maybe what I need is a table with the top image on its own, the text on a different layer and the side images in two seperate locked cells around an autostretch cell. I can also insert my text into this autostretch cell I recon.

Also, do you guys use the text tool in Macromedia or do you use MS Word or some other program? I have a book Macromedia Studio MX for dummies and it recommends using MS Word actually.

incka
12-25-2003, 10:39 AM
For HTML & PHP? I use notepad.

chromate
12-25-2003, 11:09 AM
Images will always distort when they're re-sized, unless they're vector based and you're using Flash or something.

You can however use a scripting language to detect the user's settings and then serve up the page that's right right for them.

Mike
12-25-2003, 12:15 PM
I use EditPlus.

Duke
12-25-2003, 03:00 PM
Its for HTML, sorry should have mentioned that.

I was wondering if it was something created in Flash or Fireworks but haven't looked into it too deeply.

I wonder if I simply had different images for different resolutions that were called upon depending on what the monitor resolution is. Or am I just talking out my @ss?

chromate
12-25-2003, 06:20 PM
Exactly, then just use javascript to detect their settings and you're done.

mike639
02-01-2004, 04:16 PM
one way is to create the image in the biggest screen resolution you expect your users to visit in and set it as a background in your tables , set the tables to 100% and it will only show as much of the image as the user's screen settings.

Be careful though using this method that you have taken the smallest resolution into account.