PDA

View Full Version : Google Checkout

Todd W
01-19-2007, 12:52 PM
In case anyone hasn't noticed Google is offering $0 Fees for Checkout until the end of 2007. I believe the limit is $5k a month for three consecutive months and then you have to talk to google. Their rates were not bad and with no monthly fees for a gateway or merchant account they will still be tough to beat.

Google is also offering the customer $10 rebate which is another great bonus.

MIVA5 just released the google checkout "update" and creating one-item purchases for a small site is simple. I'm not sure about OSC but would imagine if there's nothign yet there will be soon.

Check it out, maybe you'll save some money.

-Todd

polspoel
01-19-2007, 12:59 PM
Thanks for the tip about the $10.

It seems to be a bit buggy though, at first when I clicked on signup a message appeared that they weren't accepting any more customers at this time. I refreshed and then I could sign up, however submitting the form showed the same message again. Refreshing again and all was well again.

Erin
01-19-2007, 02:08 PM
Wow. That is a good deal. I took advantage of the $10 as a customer on a few sites.

So, correct me if I'm wrong--a customer needs to have a 'Google account' (or a Gmail) account in order to pay with Google Checkout, right?

polspoel
01-19-2007, 03:28 PM
Yes, you need to have a google account. Btw, the $10 off only applies to your first checkout, so how can you take advantage of it multiple times? :)

deronsizemore
01-19-2007, 03:36 PM
I might try it. I've had Paypal for years and years though and no problems so I might just stay with what works.

Johnny Gulag
01-19-2007, 03:45 PM
Can you use Google CO like PP. Where I can do design work for a client and then bill and get paid via GC, or is it just for selling items via your website?

Erin
01-19-2007, 04:00 PM
As far as I know, it's just for buying things on a website, hence the 'checkout' part of the name.

There's been speculation that Google will launch a PayPal killer called Gpay, but I haven't heard anything else about that.

Johnny Gulag
01-19-2007, 04:04 PM
As far as I know, it's just for buying things on a website, hence the 'checkout' part of the name.That's what I was thinking (and why I have not signed up).

There's been speculation that Google will launch a PayPal killer called Gpay, but I haven't heard anything else about that.Hopefully they do, not that I have had an real issues with PP, they are cool but if I can avoid fees and get a free $10 :)

deronsizemore
01-19-2007, 05:38 PM
As far as I know, it's just for buying things on a website, hence the 'checkout' part of the name.

I didn't realize that. I just assumed it was similar to the way PayPal works. I've never really looked into it much though.

polspoel
01-20-2007, 01:53 AM
They'll probably add that component later, I certainly hope so. Would be great competition for paypal/

Todd W
01-20-2007, 09:21 AM
You could simply make 1 item for the work and have them click to pay you ;)

You should probably read googles TOS as they may not allow "SERVICE" purchases only tangible goods.

Erin
01-21-2007, 10:52 AM
In case anyone's wondering, here are some links:

Learn more about Google Checkout (https://checkout.google.com/seller/why.html)

It appears to be okay to use Google Checkout if you're selling services. (https://checkout.google.com/support/sell/bin/answer.py?answer=30726&topic=8681)

Btw, the $10 off only applies to your first checkout, so how can you take advantage of it multiple times? :)Twice, each time for a week or two (IIRC) during the US shopping season, they had $10 off a $30+ purchase from various vendors. I bought from two or three vendors.

Todd W
01-24-2007, 08:48 PM
Erin: Yep I re-read the terms and they say they prefer tangible only but services are ok. (Services are a lot harder to deal with in terms of fraud chargebacks, etc.)

I actually used checkout today for a couple thousand for services. So far so good! We'll see if google questions me about anything. I simply put the checkout on a 'hidden' page and sent the URL to the client. :)

moonshield
02-12-2007, 02:00 AM
I used Checkout a few days back for selling a website. I simply sent the buyer an invoice, he put in the credit card information, and in three days I had the cash in my bank account. He didn't have to set up an account, it was Google simple. The best part is that they are currently having a promotion where they aren't charging any fees. That's always nice when you're dealing with a few thousand dollars.

From my experience, it's far superior to PayPal. No wonder why eBay doesn't it allow it on their site!