PDA

View Full Version : Should I go for this 5 dollar a month deal?

Farmer77
01-18-2007, 04:09 PM
Take a look:

http://www.site5.com/

Currently I'm using Site5 for webhosting and my current account with them is about to expire. I was using their MultiSite Hosting Plan, which gave me 6 full hosting accounts plus unlimited domain pointers. I see they have a 5 dollar deal on their homepage, but I don't know if it's any good. I hear from a lot of people to get a reseller account if you plan to make a lot of websites. What are the benefits of a reseller account compared to that 5 dollar deal plan?

agua
01-18-2007, 04:59 PM
I'm pretty sure they are doing that deal due to some bad press earlier this year...

They could be back though - best place to check is http://www.webhostingtalk.com/

Todd W
01-18-2007, 10:01 PM
Not to sure about SITE5 but I have had good luck with HostGator as a 'backup' to my servers. Prices are very reasonable and I believe there's even a coupon floating around out there ;)

-Todd

agua
01-18-2007, 10:42 PM
I'm going to try HostGator as a secondary hosting account... after researching they seem a pretty good budget option :)

Google "Hostgator Coupon (http://www.google.com/search?q=hostgator+coupon&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a)" and you'll find lots of offers.

KelliShaver
01-18-2007, 10:45 PM
Well, I have a Site5 reseller account and have never had any major problems. There was a hard disk failure one time, but it was resolved quickly. I've been tempted by the $5 deal myself, simply because it's so much cheaper than the reseller account and I'm not currently hosting that many sites. I mostly haven't switched because, as nice as Backstage/MyltiSite Admin/whatever you want to call it is, I still prefer cPanel. Theirs is probably the nicest proprietary cPanel alternative I've seen, though.

(Note: I'm not even sure their new reseller accounts use cPanel. I'm thinking they might not, but I have an old one.)

I'm not much help. I'm tempted, too. I fear that the $5 deal probably suffers from a lot of overselling, though.

polspoel
01-19-2007, 12:27 AM
Hostgator is pretty lame since multiple domains are stored in a subfolder of your primary site. I always hate that.

(primarysite.com/site2 == site2.com) Don't know about site5.com.

polspoel
01-19-2007, 12:47 AM
Well, I just checked it out and they seem very restrictive, check this out: https://help.site5.com/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=83

KelliShaver
01-19-2007, 12:54 AM
Theyr'e a bit more restrictive than most, but I can also honestly say I've had much fewer problems with them than I have any other host. Maybe that's why, maybe it's not. Some of the restrictions I agree with. Some I don't.

Todd W
01-19-2007, 08:49 AM
Hostgator is pretty lame since multiple domains are stored in a subfolder of your primary site. I always hate that.

Interesting never noticed that and haven't had a problem with them. Then again I only have 2 or 3 sites on my reseller account. I don't put sites that get a lot of traffic there just a couple domains I use for e-mail and a private forum for myself.

Anything high traffic or that they might consider closing my account for I put on my dedicated server.

GeorgeB
01-19-2007, 10:18 AM
Hostgator has "decent" server uptime. Not GREAT just decent. I got a lot of months free when I was with them due to SLA violations.

I left them because

A) Site downtime is the anti-SEO.
B) Their support sucks. The live chat people are clueless.

Todd W
01-19-2007, 10:40 AM
Hostgator has "decent" server uptime. Not GREAT just decent. I got a lot of months free when I was with them due to SLA violations.

I left them because

A) Site downtime is the anti-SEO.
B) Their support sucks. The live chat people are clueless.

Interesting. I've been with them a few months and now have noticed no down time :nod: lucky me I guess. As far as support I haven't needed any of that.

I use Hostasaurus (http://hostasaurus.com/hosting.php) for leased MIVA5 licenses and their support and uptime is awesome! Their ticket system and e-mail support is superb! I get replys VERY fast and they investigate problems as well. Their shared plans aren't nearly as cheap or large as others but their support WOWs me.

-Todd

Muggle
01-22-2007, 12:58 AM
I have a reseller account from ahosting.biz, and so far have no serious issues with them, serious downtime was caused by network maintenance. Ready-to-help support, multiple domain hosting.

GeorgeB
01-22-2007, 07:03 AM
Interesting. I've been with them a few months and now have noticed no down time :nod: lucky me I guess. As far as support I haven't needed any of that.Yeah it just takes one bad server to ruin a company's rep :)

The bad server leads to you contacting support which leads to you finding out just how much their supprot people don't know..

Most support teams have 1 rockstar that everyone turns to and if you're lucky you'll get that person. If you're unlucky you'll go through about 3 bottom feeders before you get real help.

deronsizemore
01-22-2007, 07:45 AM

When you're on a shared plan with ability to add more domains, isn't that what most hosting companies do? Your sites go into a folder of your primary directory?

BTW, I'm with A Small Orange (http://www.asmallorange.com) now (just switched to them) and so far they are great. I had one support request yesterday because it wasn't recognizing my email to log into the support area and within 5 minutes I had a fix.

The forums are always very active and the owner of the company is always very active in the forums which I kinda like.

Only time will tell how good they truely are, but no complaints yet.

ozgression
01-25-2007, 07:49 PM
Don't use Site5. They are the worst host I have ever used.

BTW, HostGator have been pretty good to me.

AmbulanceBlues
01-25-2007, 10:55 PM
I've had a five dollar a month reseller account at reseller zoom for awhile now. My sites are little more than placeholders at this point, but I haven't had any serious problem. They use cpanels for each of your accounts and WHM to manage your reseller functions. The only problem I had was that all of my admin functions disappeared from WHM at one point, and they fixed it quite rapidly. Every other problem was always my noob-self fault, and they were always responsive and helpful with that as well.

I don't know what they're like for high traffic sites, but the service has been great. And it's five bucks for a true reseller account.