PDA

View Full Version : A Private Forum

Chris
01-17-2007, 03:32 PM
I know people have discussed it in the past... but what do all of you think about a private subscription only area of this forum?

The reason I thought of it again, is that I got news today I'd love to share with someone, but I cannot have it be publicly available.

Westech
01-17-2007, 03:52 PM
Subscription only as in you'd charge a fee? I wouldn't go for that, but I'd love to see a private area that's free but only available to longer-term more trusted members. I have a few things I'd love to share semi-privately as well.

Erin
01-17-2007, 04:08 PM
Depends on how much, of course! I'd give it at least serious consideration. And I did bring it up in the past for just this reason.

Johnny Gulag
01-17-2007, 06:22 PM
If it is free (real cheap) and I am included, I am all for it, otherwise I do not like it. :p

agua
01-17-2007, 09:46 PM
Why not just make a private forum - and invite the people you would like to join via PM, or - and them keep inviting people as you see fit over time.

Cutter
01-17-2007, 11:01 PM
Its easy to forget everything you write on a forum is completely public and viewable by anyone, any time, anywhere -- definately good reasons to have a private forum.

If you mean paid subscription, I would look at the $20 for 6 months price point and toss in some free perks. I'd be happy to include my blogging e-book for free to any members.

Mike
01-18-2007, 02:37 AM
Yeah, a private forum would be a good idea. In the last couple of years I haven't mentioned many of my sites, although with a private forum I'd feel much more inclined to do so.

I'm not sure about charging a fee, as it still makes it open to a lot of people. If people are desperate to find something out, they'll pay $20 or whatever. If you said you had to be a member for x months and have posted so many times, it would grow the forum and make the private section feel a lot more "trustworthy".

Dan Morgan
01-18-2007, 02:52 AM
I have held off posting things here in the past so would support the idea.

However, I would favour a mix made up of trusted, long term members rather than just any one with the cash as the latter would cancel out the benefits of a private area for me.

agua
01-18-2007, 04:18 AM
$20 for 6 monthsIf there is going to be a charge - I think thats too low - it would mean that everyone in the world could join, for the price of a few months hosting - making the whole concept pointless

michael_gersitz
01-18-2007, 05:33 AM
I wouldn't pay any money for something like that. (Even after reading your blog post)

I would suggest a private forum that only users with like 100 posts can see. Don't even advertise that its there. Just create it and it would be a secret forever. You wouldn't get new members joining, and posting a lot of posts just to gain access.

I would like a private forum, and I got a few things I would post that could be helpful. I just don't want a wave of **** coming out because I posted an idea on a public promotion forum.

michael_gersitz
01-18-2007, 05:35 AM
If there is going to be a charge - I think thats too low - it would mean that everyone in the world could join, for the price of a few months hosting - making the whole concept pointless

Thats about 3 days worth of hosting for me. :) And I still think that is too much.

Kyle
01-18-2007, 06:11 AM
Whether you charge or not isn't important to me... your judgement on who to invite to the forum is important. I guess I'd personally rather have more than just a fee seperating those who are in the private forum, and those who aren't.

But if you wanted to charge a fee, I'm fine with that too.

deronsizemore
01-18-2007, 06:51 AM
I would go for it assuming it's doesn't cost an arm and a leg. I don't have a problem giving up a few dollars for something like that. I like the atmosphere here!

That's if I would be considered a long enough standing member to be included...otherwise I don't like the idea! :)

agua
01-18-2007, 07:03 AM
Thats about 3 days worth of hosting for me. :) And I still think that is too much.See what I mean - that price is way too low :lol:

Chris
01-18-2007, 07:07 AM
Well there are a few ways to do it.

1. Charge a fee, vbulletin has existing tools to do it so it'd be easy.

2. Make it based on post count. I think 100 would be too low. I'd like to see it higher, like at 500. I know people without that many posts yet might not like it, but think of it as a goal.

3. Make it a bit like a club. The existing members have to vote to invite new members.

Or a combination of the three. Maybe with different price points based on your postcount. Or still require the approval of the existing members before giving the option to join (person petitions to join, existing members vote on it).

The charging for it wouldn't be for the money as much as for keeping some undesirables who would never pony up for it out.

Dan Morgan
01-18-2007, 07:53 AM
Combination of 2 and 3 works for me. I would probably be happy to pay a fee too, but the benefits of 2 and 3 is what would be the most important.

Westech
01-18-2007, 08:29 AM
Well there are a few ways to do it.

1. Charge a fee, vbulletin has existing tools to do it so it'd be easy.

2. Make it based on post count. I think 100 would be too low. I'd like to see it higher, like at 500. I know people without that many posts yet might not like it, but think of it as a goal.

3. Make it a bit like a club. The existing members have to vote to invite new members.

I like #3 -- either with existing members voting as you said, or simply with you personally selecting new members. Whoever does the selection, I'd like to see it based on some combination of how long the member's been around, how much they've contributed to the forum, and whether they seem honest and trustworthy.

Only charging a fee or only making it based on post count would make the private area useless to me. I wouldn't feel any more comfortable discussing things there than in the main forum since anyone who wanted access could simply pay a fee or post enough times to get the info.

The higher the standards for membership the more useful the new forum will be, in my opinion. (Assuming the standards aren't so high that I can't get in!)

Mike
01-18-2007, 08:59 AM
I like #3 as well, there would be a guarantee that the forum would be 'safe' then. Also if members are voting people in, there's more chance of people revealing things as they should be comfortable with all users allowed in the forum.

michael_gersitz
01-18-2007, 09:01 AM
Or you can charge a fee, then award prize money to people who contribute the best threads? :/

Chris
01-18-2007, 09:03 AM
Too much work to go around having thread contests.

s2kinteg916
01-18-2007, 10:16 AM
1+2

+ time on boards....

Nico
01-18-2007, 11:01 AM
Just be careful that the Private Forum don't take all the activity/posts from the normal forum.

deronsizemore
01-18-2007, 11:09 AM
I like #3 -- either with existing members voting as you said, or simply with you personally selecting new members. Whoever does the selection, I'd like to see it based on some combination of how long the member's been around, how much they've contributed to the forum, and whether they seem honest and trustworthy.

Only charging a fee or only making it based on post count would make the private area useless to me. I wouldn't feel any more comfortable discussing things there than in the main forum since anyone who wanted access could simply pay a fee or post enough times to get the info.

The higher the standards for membership the more useful the new forum will be, in my opinion. (Assuming the standards aren't so high that I can't get in!)

I like this idea. I think simply charging people and letting anyone in after say 500 posts would defeat the idea since anyone could just start posted away up to 500, pay their fee and they're in. Could maybe still charge some kind of fee to get in, but a vote would be in order to get in...once you get the 'invite' you pay your fee and then you're in. I guess similar to a fraternity...you get an invite to join then you pay your dues to remain a member.

Also like Nico said...I hope that it wouldn't make the main forum go down hill as everyone would be chatting in the private area?

Mike
01-18-2007, 11:14 AM
Well yeah, that begs the question, what would the private forum be used for?

Chris
01-18-2007, 11:35 AM
sharing ideas or news you wouldn't want known to the public at large.

Erin
01-18-2007, 11:48 AM
Still true for me:
No, the point is that I'd like a place where my username won't show up, certain questions won't show up, etc.

For example, I can't really ask (or answer) any questions about G/my users/other search engines because eventually, it'll all show up in the SERPs.

I'm just looking for something that won't show up in G two days after I ask it...

ogito
01-18-2007, 12:09 PM
the private forum will be spam free... so it doesn't require more time cleaning it

or maybe some members from the private forum to have rights to clean the spam... (yes I know it is not much, but...)

Shawn
01-18-2007, 01:20 PM
I'm all for this idea. I'd LOVE to be able to share my all my new sites with people as they're up and coming and obviously as of now -- I can't do that.

I'd prefer 2+3, but leaning towards 3.

MaxS
01-18-2007, 01:28 PM
I would be more than willing to subscribe.

Chris
01-18-2007, 01:52 PM
What I'm thinking about is this:

1. Site contributors, those who have written articles for the site, get in free, regardless of post count.

2. People with more than 500 posts can petition to be let in, they have to pay a small yearly or monthly fee (thinking $5 a month, $50 a year). Existing members would vote to let them in or not. Majority rules.

3. Everyone currently with more than 500 posts would be grandfathered in and, if they want to pay the small fee, would be accepted without having to be voted on.

The list then would be:

Chris
Mike
chromate
MarkB
r2d2
James
Cutter
Emancipator
moonshield
Westech
ozgression
deronsizemore
KLB
thebillionaire
Blue Cat Buxton
michael_gersitz
s2kinteg916
Shawn
Kyle
ToddW
AndyH
Masetek

Chris
01-18-2007, 01:54 PM
Then, there would be 2 rules.

1. What happens in the private forum, stays in the private forum. Anyone caught divulging the information will lose access.

2. The goal isn't to create an exclusionary feeling, so anything that doesn't need to be private, should be posted publicly. This will be mostly on the honor system since we cannot read your thoughts.

Chris
01-18-2007, 01:56 PM
And oh ya, I'd increase things like PM limits for subscribed people etc.

stymiee
01-18-2007, 02:03 PM
Do my articles count?

michael_gersitz
01-18-2007, 02:08 PM
Make sure you fix the main page of websitepublisher... So you cant see topic headlines..

polspoel
01-18-2007, 02:20 PM
I think 500 posts is pretty hard to get given the low activity in recent months for this forum (unless you've been here for a couple of years).

I must admit I'm more of a reader but I'll try to answer some questions here and there, I guess activity could rise because of this in the sub 500 posts group ;)

Westech
01-18-2007, 02:49 PM
Do new site contributors get in automatically with no vote? If so that seems like a loophole waiting to be exploited.

Chris
01-18-2007, 03:18 PM
Do my articles count?

Of course, why wouldn't they?

I think 500 posts is pretty hard to get given the low activity in recent months for this forum (unless you've been here for a couple of years).

I must admit I'm more of a reader but I'll try to answer some questions here and there, I guess activity could rise because of this in the sub 500 posts group

Exactly, it gives you something to work for. Plus, the goal isn't to have all casual posters be included, just dedicated posters.

Do new site contributors get in automatically with no vote? If so that seems like a loophole waiting to be exploited.

Yes, but, I don't allow just anyone to publish an article on the site, I have pretty high standards. Usually, if they're writing an article they're the type of person you want in that forum anyways.

agua
01-18-2007, 03:20 PM
Seems pretty fair to me :)

Xander
01-18-2007, 03:51 PM
Sounds like a good system, even if I don't qualify. The best thing would be not to divulge too much of the information of how to get in so they don't spam or annoy people.

ogito
01-18-2007, 04:37 PM
like the new system..., I hope these rules activate the forum...

Westech
01-18-2007, 05:07 PM
I like the idea of people needing to be voted in, regardless of whether they contribute an article to the site or not. Someone could be very knowledgeable and write a great article, but still be extremely untrustworthy.

Sounds like a good system, even if I don't qualify. The best thing would be not to divulge too much of the information of how to get in so they don't spam or annoy people.

Agreed. Let's take this discussion to the private forum! :D

Chris
01-18-2007, 05:32 PM
I suppose it would be possible to still have contributors get voted on, just have them removed of the fee. But those who contibuted prior to this point would be grandfathered in still.

Shawn
01-18-2007, 05:58 PM
So, when does this start?

The New Guy
01-18-2007, 06:22 PM
I haven't been around for awhile. This would certainly give me an excuse to comeback.

Chris
01-18-2007, 07:46 PM
I'll try to get it setup this weekend.

Todd W
01-18-2007, 08:19 PM
Then, there would be 2 rules.

1. What happens in the private forum, stays in the private forum. Anyone caught divulging the information will lose access.

2. The goal isn't to create an exclusionary feeling, so anything that doesn't need to be private, should be posted publicly. This will be mostly on the honor system since we cannot read your thoughts.

Chris both of these are VERY important. I've been part of other forums with "private" areas based on post count, length of membership and voted in.

After a year or so a "clique" appeared and started "ganging up" on "non-private" members. In the end all members were wiped out and the system was re-done.

I think no matter what determines a persons eligibility money should be part of it.

Someone who pays wants to be there and thus values the forum much more than someone with 500 posts or that has been here a year.

I think age of member, background (from other forums, sites, etc), post/contribution count, and requiring a monthly/yearly fee should be required. This way you get to really weed out the problematic people and ONLY have people who want to be there there.

Voting can become a problem if ever the results are seen by the person the voting is regarding. If X tells Y they were not allowed in because so-and-so voted no they will have a thinga against the persons who voted no on them joining.

michael_gersitz
01-18-2007, 09:17 PM
I am pretty sure you can't see who voted for what option. If it is, I am sure it could easily be turned off.

stymiee
01-18-2007, 09:28 PM
Of course, why wouldn't they?

I wasn't on the list. I just wanted to be sure. :)

Todd W
01-18-2007, 09:59 PM
I am pretty sure you can't see who voted for what option. If it is, I am sure it could easily be turned off.

Of course. But most people who vote no want to give their reasoning likewise those that voted yes but notice "no" votes are probably curious as to why.

The voting threads don't end-up being just votes they turn into a discussion, and in many cases can "seperate" your community over time.

-Todd

Cutter
01-18-2007, 10:40 PM
The way I run the private section on one of my forums is I started with a group of users, and every few months they can nominate new members for access. Almost alway there is mutual agreement on wether to let someone in or not.

Todd W
01-18-2007, 10:43 PM
The way I run the private section on one of my forums is I started with a group of users, and every few months they can nominate new members for access. Almost alway there is mutual agreement on wether to let someone in or not.

That's how we have done it on other forums too but once that "group" of users grows there will be diversity and some people are not going to like some people. This may not be today or next month or even next year but some time in the future not everyone in the "group" will agree, get along, and even really be friends. The group will eventualy grow to large where it actually comes to almost like the normal forum.

I think really you have to decide do you want to just keep the public and SE's away or do you want a "close" group of friends/trusted people only? There's a big difference.

-Todd

Mike
01-19-2007, 02:18 AM
Someone who pays wants to be there and thus values the forum much more than someone with 500 posts or that has been here a year.

Surely if someone has that many posts, it proves they want to be here?

KelliShaver
01-19-2007, 02:47 AM
I think a private forum is a good idea, but ..... just one thing.... People have to be voted on and given permission to pay you money to access your private forum?

That doesn't make a lot of sense. Either you want them there or you don't.

On one hand, it sounds like you're trying to get the best and most dedicated members in the private forum (voting). On the other hand, it sounds like a way to monetize the forum (paying), which is certainly your right to do. Either one individually as a way to keep out those who aren't seriously interested in the forum makes sense. When you combine the two, it just seems like you're rewarding your most dedicated members by sending them a bill.

I think either option is perfectly fine, but combined, they just contradict themselves.

Blue Cat Buxton
01-19-2007, 04:08 AM
I think you certainly need the vote element. If it is just on paying a fee then you loose the trust element that otherwise enables more descrete discussions.

And the 500 post count element may encourage wider growth in the main forum, which would also be a good thing

Chris
01-19-2007, 06:47 AM
I think a private forum is a good idea, but ..... just one thing.... People have to be voted on and given permission to pay you money to access your private forum?

That doesn't make a lot of sense. Either you want them there or you don't.

On one hand, it sounds like you're trying to get the best and most dedicated members in the private forum (voting). On the other hand, it sounds like a way to monetize the forum (paying), which is certainly your right to do. Either one individually as a way to keep out those who aren't seriously interested in the forum makes sense. When you combine the two, it just seems like you're rewarding your most dedicated members by sending them a bill.

I think either option is perfectly fine, but combined, they just contradict themselves.
The paying isn't for forum monetization, it serves two purposes.

1. Makes sure the person really wants to be there, so as Todd said they follow the rules.

2. Encourages people to write articles so they get in for free. It is a way to provide value to article writers without actually paying them anything. A side effect of this value is it'd encourage said writers to stick around and answer questions about their articles.

The voting is for the simple reason that IMO everyone who is a member of the club, owns a part of the club. It will not just be my secrets being shared, it'll be everyone's private information that they do not want public, so everyone should have a say in who gains access to that private information.

As for people finding out who voted against them. It was never a problem at SP. People voted on mentors and advisors and there were always naysayers and it was never a problem.

Eventually too, the threshold to get in may be raised to keep it exclusive.

s2kinteg916
01-19-2007, 07:02 AM
Chris how about members like me who dont really contribute much over the years ? but have finally been able to put the pieces together and offer valuable information ?

Chris
01-19-2007, 07:17 AM
You're past 500 posts, so you can get in if you want.

Chris
01-19-2007, 08:22 AM
Alright, it is done, all setup.

I automatically made the site contributors PC members. Everyone else with more than 500 posts is now a Senior Member. You will find instructions on upgrading to forum contributor. Once a forum contributor for the next 30 days all you have to do is post asking to join and I'll make you a PC member, after that you will need to go through the application process.

KelliShaver
01-19-2007, 09:06 AM
That makes more sense. I guess I was just looking at it from the wrong angle (and hey, I'm slighlty bummed that I don't have 500 posts yet. :p) I hadn't thought about it as an incentive to get people to contribute good content, either. That's an interesting twist. :)

polspoel
01-19-2007, 09:12 AM
Will there be anything more than just a private forum? I hate to refer to wickedfire.com (since I don't like the site) but it does have a pretty good system in place for when the rest of the site comes along.

It uses the rep system and only if you have a certain percentage green rep do you get access. Does not depend on money, etc.

They also have some things in the works like a review directory and stuff like that, it would be nice to have something similar here, but without the focus on "arbitrage" and "blackhat".

Chris
01-19-2007, 09:17 AM
I might add features in the future of course, but there will always be a monetary component to it, for the reasons I mentioned above.

chromate
01-19-2007, 09:25 AM
Hmm... personally I think that anyone with over 2,295 posts should get in for free! ;)

Emancipator
01-19-2007, 09:25 AM
Surely if someone has that many posts, it proves they want to be here?

The fact you have 2500 posts on this forum shows me you want to be here as well.

Chris
01-19-2007, 09:28 AM
Not that they want to be here in the forums, but in the private club. If it is something they get anyways because of their post count they may value it less and be less likely to follow the rules.

But mostly, the reason to charge for it is to encourage/reward article writers. I'd like nothing more than to have no one ever pay me for access and instead just write an article.

GeorgeB
01-19-2007, 09:30 AM
What about those of us who've been here since January 2005?

Could we maybe just pay the fee?

Talk about grandfathered... ;)

- GeorgeB

Chris
01-19-2007, 09:35 AM
Nope, you must be encouraged to post more. Really, if you came once a day and replied to new threads you'd get to 500 posts in probably 2 months, not that long of time really.

GeorgeB
01-19-2007, 09:46 AM
Understandable. It's also a move to increase posting here.

But as another peson pointed out in this thread, it's tough to post a lot with slow activity. Maybe this will help.

How many good solid articles would you require?

Chris
01-19-2007, 09:54 AM
1... well I'd take as many as you'd write, but 1 is enough to get you free access.

GeorgeB
01-19-2007, 09:55 AM
How about one article and a link on CodingFAQ at the top right? :D

Do I just PM it to you?

Edit: Scratch that. I'll link to here regardless because I need people to talk to ;)

Chris
01-19-2007, 10:00 AM
You can email articles or article ideas to me at editor at websitepublisher dot net

I do have pretty high standards, I won't publish just anything. I don't like to cover the same topic twice too if it is elsewhere on the site already. So before writing it might be best to clear the idea with me.

chromate
01-19-2007, 10:01 AM
1... well I'd take as many as you'd write, but 1 is enough to get you free access.

That seems kind of silly. 1 article gets you free access but a couple thousand forum posts doesn't?

Not that they want to be here in the forums, but in the private club. If it is something they get anyways because of their post count they may value it less and be less likely to follow the rules.

How does a single article mean someone is more likely to follow the rules than someone that has 2000+ posts?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining out of hand or trying to get access for free here. But it does seem a bit insulting to users with high post counts that have been around for years.

Mike at the very least should have access as a moderator (I hope this is the case).

Chris
01-19-2007, 10:10 AM
Oh yes, Mike has access.

I understand where you're coming from. But yes, I do value articles more than post counts.

Really, this is a way for me to pay article writers without actually paying them. I could say, everyone has to pay, but then pay each article writer $50 for the article. Everyone would technically be on equal footing, but, only technically. It may help to think of it like that though.

I don't want to pick on Incka, but look, he had like 3000 posts before he got banned. At the time he definitely was not the type of person I would have wanted included. That is why mere post counts aren't a good judge. Plus, if it were only post count, it may encourage post spam no different than a posting contest, also something I do not want. I'm hoping there is enough of a difference, between posting to get something for free and posting for the priviledge of paying for something, to stop that kind of post whoring from happening.

I'd love to give you free access chromate, I do think you should be a member, but I think it is more important to have clearly defined rules and procedures and to make sure that post counts alone cannot get you in.

Erin
01-19-2007, 10:13 AM
Great idea! I agree with the minimum post count, too. Otherwise a bunch of people would just pay a one-time fee of $5 to get some juicy info on others.

I've got a few things I've been wanting to chat about, one going on right now as a matter of fact, and this would be a good way to do it.

Unfortunately it'll take me a while to hit 500. I'm not really into posting for posting's sake, and being more of a businessperson than a webmaster, I sometimes find it hard to make meaningful contributions.

chromate
01-19-2007, 10:42 AM
I do agree with the idea of people paying. If they pay for it, they're less likely to break it. That makes sense. But I don't think anyone should have free access (apart from Mike).

From my own point of view, thinking about joining the private forum, I'm not sure I would feel comfortable posting about private stuff where all someone has to do to get access, is write an article. An article doesn't give any indication of the person's character. It's not enough to build trust. And trust is what the private forum will pivot on.

At the very least the article provider should have the min 500 post count and be voted in by existing members. Sorry to all those that don't meet this criteria! It's nothing personal.

I'm just trying to help make sure this private forum actually works well, because it could be GREAT. But at the moment, I don't think things are quite right with people getting free access as favours for providing site content. It damages the integrity of the private forum. It's good for the site, but not good for the forum.

Westech
01-19-2007, 10:56 AM
My understanding is that people who write articles will still have to be voted on by the existing members, but will have the fee waived. I hope this is correct because if someone can just write an article and duck under the voting requirement then that kind of undermines the whole thing.

Chris
01-19-2007, 11:04 AM
Only people who have written articles right now get free access without any oversight, others in the future, like Westech says, have to apply.

The list of those who got in for free:

Cutter
Shawn
MarkB
KLB
Stymiee
Westech

In the future article writers simply have the fee waived, they still have to apply and be voted on like anyone else.

Chris
01-19-2007, 11:09 AM
Think of it like this

Regular Member > Senior Member > Contributor (either paid or by writing an article) > PC Member (have to apply and be approved)

chromate
01-19-2007, 11:19 AM
Okay, that make me feel better about it. :)

How will the voting process work? Does it have to be unanimous decision to allow membership? Or...

Chris
01-19-2007, 11:20 AM
Well, it could change, but for now I was thinking a simple majority.

chromate
01-19-2007, 11:36 AM
Hmm yeah, it's tricky. The problem is, someone could get in that a member doesn't feel comfortable with and then that basically makes that member's membership worthless because they no longer feel comfortable posting.

I dunno. It's difficult.

r2d2
01-19-2007, 11:53 AM
Hey All!

Long time, no 'see'!

I've been away a while since I was writing up my MSc thesis, then bought a house straight after, and am busy 'home improving'. I think its time to get back on top of things on the web though - hope everyone is doing well with their sites.

Only people who have written articles right now get free access without any oversight....

I wrote an article on CSS (http://www.websitepublisher.net/article/text-css/) and would be interested in this private forum to discuss things - public forums seem to be a lot of the same stuff.

Chris
01-19-2007, 11:58 AM
You're right, I didn't remember all the article writers, I'll get you hooked up.

r2d2
01-19-2007, 12:04 PM
That's great, thanks Chris.

The problem is, someone could get in that a member doesn't feel comfortable with and then that basically makes that member's membership worthless because they no longer feel comfortable posting.

I would imagine there would be a thread for discussion for each potential new member needing a vote? The member in question could post their views etc, and other members could then form their own decision. If they have good reason for feeling uncomfortable, I sure other members would vote against the new member.

Mike
01-19-2007, 12:24 PM
Mike at the very least should have access as a moderator (I hope this is the case).

I wrote an article a couple of years ago anyway, but thanks for the heads up :)

s2kinteg916
01-19-2007, 12:40 PM
I just signed up.... i been wanting this for a while actually. Its one of the reasons why i dont even visit sitepoint anymore.

Blue Cat Buxton
01-19-2007, 12:59 PM
I just signed up.

Likewise, and happy to pay

polspoel
01-19-2007, 01:03 PM
Think of it like this

Regular Member > Senior Member > Contributor (either paid or by writing an article) > PC Member (have to apply and be approved)

So you have to pay first and only then a vote takes place?

s2kinteg916
01-19-2007, 01:07 PM
i believe you must be a senior member in order to contribute/pay..

Chris
01-19-2007, 01:13 PM
So you have to pay first and only then a vote takes place?
Yes, but if you get rejected you can get a refund.

polspoel
01-19-2007, 01:14 PM
I know.

Edit: Thanks for the clarification.

Erin
01-19-2007, 01:57 PM
Yeah, I'd like to join. I'll do my best to step up my posting (quality only, of course).

fredarn
01-20-2007, 10:28 AM
Really cool idea! :D

IŽam not even close to get in at this time, but maby i'll write an article... :)

ses5909
01-20-2007, 04:28 PM
About a year ago I belonged to a private forum (invite-only) and it was really brilliant. The ideas and conversation that were held there surpassed anything I had ever experienced in a forum. I think it was the "exclusivity" that lended to that feeling. Having people voted on is definitely the way to go.

AmbulanceBlues
01-20-2007, 07:55 PM
I hadn't said anything because I know I'm not providing quality posts to get in. Then I realized that it was bugging me a little bit, and now I'm actually somewhat more motivated to finish my ideas and finish my sites so that I actually become what I've just been studying for some time.

Thanks for the motivation.

tony101
03-17-2007, 10:40 PM
How many forums pay a fee now?

I think $20 for a year would be good.

MaxS
03-19-2007, 04:05 PM
The fee is $5 a month (I believe). You need to have 500 posts to be eligible, though. Once your eligible, a vote is held to determine whether or not you're in.

(correct me if I'm wrong)

Chris
03-19-2007, 05:48 PM
The $5 a month gets you perks like a bigger avatar or more PM storage, and the right to apply for access to the private discussion club. New members are voted on by the existing membership.

tony101
03-20-2007, 12:59 AM
When would you do this Pay Forum site?

How would you get more people to join a Pay site?

I would not mind paying for a service, I just want to make sure it will be more than five people in the forum.:confused:

Chris
03-20-2007, 06:24 AM
Its already done.

MaxS
06-08-2007, 05:58 PM
You should consider lowering the post count.

I've been a member here for over a year, and I've yet to come close to 500 posts. There isn't enough activity outside of the private forums to justify such a high requirement.

I hate not being able to divulge certain information.

KLB
06-08-2007, 06:13 PM
MaxS may have a point. Maybe five hundred posts or 200 posts plus one year's membership.

With that said, don't fret too much Max, there aren't a lot of posts in the private forum and no earth shattering, life altering secrets have been shared in the private forums.

agua
06-08-2007, 06:21 PM
500 posts is good - otherwise there would be no activity on the public forum as everyone would be in the private forum... meaning there is no bait for totally new members who could have some great information we could all benefit from.

MaxS
06-08-2007, 06:25 PM
With that said, don't fret too much Max, there aren't a lot of posts in the private forum and no earth shattering, life altering secrets have been shared in the private forums.
Indeed. I can't speak for everyone but, to me, publishing-related discussion is much more interesting, informal, and applicable when privacy isn't an issue.

It would be nice to be able to turn to a private group of publishers to ask questions.

KLB
06-08-2007, 06:26 PM
500 posts is good - otherwise there would be no activity on the public forum as everyone would be in the private forum... meaning there is no bait for totally new members who could have some great information we could all benefit from.

I wouldn't worry about this too much. I was a paid subscriber at Webmaster World for a while and their private forums were pretty lame. Even if given a choice most of the time people will choose to post to public forums. It is only the occasional "sensitive" topic that one doesn't want to appear in search engines that shows up in private forums.

MaxS
06-08-2007, 06:27 PM
Well, you can look at it both ways. If it's lowered, newly registered members may feel that the post requirement is within grasp, thus encouraging them to post.

KLB
06-08-2007, 06:41 PM
Well, you can look at it both ways. If it's lowered, newly registered members may feel that the post requirement is within grasp, thus encouraging them to post.

Personally I look at the private forums as a small bonus, not a key feature that should encourage people to stick around. The reason to stick around this forum is that it is easy to keep up with the threads here as there aren't an overwhelming number and this forum has the best signal to noise ration of any webmaster related forum I know of. It would be nice if there were a little more activity on this forum, but I wouldn't want that additional activity to just be useless noise.

MaxS
06-09-2007, 01:21 PM
Personally I look at the private forums as a small bonus, not a key feature that should encourage people to stick around. The reason to stick around this forum is that it is easy to keep up with the threads here as there aren't an overwhelming number and this forum has the best signal to noise ration of any webmaster related forum I know of. It would be nice if there were a little more activity on this forum, but I wouldn't want that additional activity to just be useless noise.
I definitely agree with you. I don't post in an attempt to encourage Chris to give me access to the private forum. In any event, I will continue to post.

However, I still believe 500 is a bit high. I'd even be happy to pay more than the regular fee. I need a place to turn to when I need private opinions.

Chris
06-09-2007, 06:16 PM
Oh ya, don't forget, writing an article gets around the post count.

agua
06-09-2007, 06:29 PM
What subjects are you looking for/short on?

Chris
06-09-2007, 07:30 PM
http://www.websitepublisher.net/forums/showthread.php?t=6840

agua
06-09-2007, 09:31 PM
nm... I don't have permissions to access that thread... is it in the private forum?

Chris
06-10-2007, 05:34 AM
Hmmm...

Chris
06-10-2007, 05:37 AM
try again

Selkirk
06-10-2007, 07:46 AM
Hmmm. At my current rate of .14 posts per day, I'll make it to 500 in about 8 and half years.

(500 - 57) / .14 / 365 = 8.66

:rolleyes:

agua
06-10-2007, 04:55 PM
Thanks Chris - that worked :)

Emancipator
06-12-2007, 11:48 AM
i think i should be let in just based on how good looking I am. That and Westech is my friend... that has to go a long distance right...?? hello?? are you there?? *crickets in the background*

:)