PDA

View Full Version : Hyphen domains?

Nico
01-17-2007, 09:52 AM
Hi,

Im developing a new site, one that i think it'll be the first one in it's class. And it'll become the center for information on this topic (hopefully).
But of course all the domains i want are taken. I found a good one, but it has a hyphen: xxxx-xxxxx.com

I've read articles & discussions about this (including: http://www.websitepublisher.net/article/choosing_domain_name/), but i want to hear what you think. Is sooo bad to use that domain? Should i really try to use one without hyphens? Can someone point me to some really sucessful sites with hyphens domains?

I guess im just looking for courage on going with the hyphen version :)
Thanks!

Shawn
01-17-2007, 10:18 AM
Without hyphens. Please.

stymiee
01-17-2007, 10:30 AM
Hyphens are fine.

Chris
01-17-2007, 11:45 AM
I don't like more than 1 hyphen, but 1 hyphen is fine. My most popular sites are hyphenated.

It probably does make it harder to brand or spread via word of mouth, but if those 2 things are not your goal then you're better off with a more SE friendly URL anyways.

chromate
01-17-2007, 11:57 AM
If you're banking on return visitors then I would try and find an un-hyphenated domain. But aside from that, personally I don't think it matters all that much. I have successful sites that use hyphens. However, I wouldn't recommend more than one hyphen in a domain.

You've only got one hyphen, so your domain should be fine.

But if the unhyphenated version of the domain is already an active site, then I would look for a completely different name.
If it looks good, then just go with the hyphen.

roseau
01-17-2007, 01:01 PM
I was thinking the same thing as chromate - check first to see what is on the name with no hyphen - reason being you don't want your traffic going there all the time when you have worked so hard to promote your site.

Otherwise, I think a hyphen is fine, too - I have a bunch myself

jonnyhilfiger
01-17-2007, 01:48 PM
If you're banking on return visitors then I would try and find an un-hyphenated domain. But aside from that, personally I don't think it matters all that much. I have successful sites that use hyphens. However, I wouldn't recommend more than one hyphen in a domain.

You've only got one hyphen, so your domain should be fine.

But if the unhyphenated version of the domain is already an active site, then I would look for a completely different name.
If it looks good, then just go with the hyphen.

What he said.

John

paul
01-17-2007, 02:14 PM
I don't like more than 1 hyphen, ...

Other than looking spammy to webmasters is there any other reason for that? I'm not convinced "civilians" coming via search even notice the domain.

Nico
01-17-2007, 02:15 PM
Thanks for the help guys. To summarize: everyone except Shawn think that 1 hyphen in the domain is fine.

The domain with no hyphen is not an active domain, it's not even parked. Im trying to contact the owner.

Thanks Chris, knowing that some of yours sites (like the literature one) have hyphens helps a lot.

I think i'll go with the hyphen one, because if i keep looking for the perfect domain it may take me forever to launch the site.

chromate
01-17-2007, 02:25 PM
Other than looking spammy to webmasters is there any other reason for that? I'm not convinced "civilians" coming via search even notice the domain.

Users coming direct from search engines probably don't notice at all. And it can help with search engine rankings if people link directly to you using the domain.

However, if you want to turn those visitors into repeat visitors (not always the case) then domains with more than 1 hyphen probably makes that harder.

I do think it makes getting links harder too purely because multi-hyphen domains are synonymous with spam. A domain with 2 or 3 hyphens in it immediately puts the red flags up with a webmaster, before even looking at the site - rightly or wrongly.

mondala
01-17-2007, 03:40 PM
Brandable is something to consider... if your ambition is to be a leader on the chosen topic or to try your best anyway and give it an honest go then a domain name with no hyphens, fairly short, catchy and easy to remember and type is a good idea.

For example, though you did not mention multiple sites, consider some silly word you like or an idea or concept and integrate it with your keyword or use it as your theme for a network of sites.

silly.com -your network/hub or hobby site
-sillygames.com
-sillyhealth.com
-sillyblogs.com
-sillyconfessions.com
-sillywallpapers.com
-sillytutorials.com

Nico
01-17-2007, 04:50 PM
Thanks, that's not a bad idea, i'll consider it. But i like more the idea of having one site with all those topics on it.

I mentioned before that i think this can be a good site and hopefully it'll become the main site for info on this topic, and that's why im worrying about the Hyphen. If it was another site, a wouldn't worry to much.

Another posible solution would be go without hyphens but adding a new keyword to the domain, like: word1Word2Word3.com instead of word1-word2.com

paul
01-17-2007, 05:11 PM
...But i like more the idea of having one site with all those topics on it.

Why? As I interpret the longtail writings and growth of the web, the idea of multiple, extremely targeted, sites seems attractive.

As I have been planning additions to my largest site ( only a couple hundred pages) I realized I was spending a lot of effort thinking of how to fit the new material into the existing navigation. Since most of my visitors arrive via a very specific search the heirarchy is wasted on them. I find I can spend more time writing content if I build tiny new niche sites and link to them. It also allows me to try new themes etc. without disturbing the larger site.

Chris
01-17-2007, 05:13 PM
Assuming the topics are related, promotion wise it is better to have them all on 1 site. The reason is that when a large established site launches new content you get it ranked well in search engines quicker than if it were a new site.

BGray
01-17-2007, 08:49 PM
Go with the hyphen if you have to but I'd try contacting the owner of the name you want to see if you can buy it for a reasonable price first.

chromate
01-18-2007, 01:33 AM
Go with the hyphen if you have to but I'd try contacting the owner of the name you want to see if you can buy it for a reasonable price first.

When doing something like that, it's a good idea to check out the history of the domain first to make sure you're not buying something that's previously been a hot-bed for spam or some other unscrupulous activity. I use archive.org for that.

ogito
01-18-2007, 08:02 AM
with one hyphen is ok for me..., some domain names are easier readable with hyphen

chromate
01-18-2007, 08:07 AM
That's a very good point! Especially when the last letter of the first word is the same as the first letter of the second word. A hyphen in this case makes the domain look a lot better.

Xed
04-27-2007, 07:12 AM
hey sorry for bumping up an old thread, but I had a question on this.

I am looking to get a domain name... all domain configs are taken if I want to include any keywords. But I can have a domain name with 'keyword + some made up word'. So I guess I am asking do the SEs give the keyword rich domains priority?

Also something else, Can a search engine read words seperately in a non-hyphenated domain?

Generalissimo
04-27-2007, 07:25 AM
That's a very good point! Especially when the last letter of the first word is the same as the first letter of the second word. A hyphen in this case makes the domain look a lot better.

Especially in the case of one of Chris' sites, Wilderness-survival.net... Without the hyphen it would be Wildernesssurvival.net which is a very odd looking.

MaxS
04-27-2007, 10:05 PM
I am looking to get a domain name... all domain configs are taken if I want to include any keywords. But I can have a domain name with 'keyword + some made up word'. So I guess I am asking do the SEs give the keyword rich domains priority?
The domain does have some importance. That said, it's not impossible to outrank a website whose domain is the target phrase.

Also something else, Can a search engine read words seperately in a non-hyphenated domain?
Yes, they can.