PDA

View Full Version : What do you guys think?

MaxS
01-13-2007, 01:56 PM
Hi there,

I run edit - just a little background: it's basically a survey site. People come to the site, submit a survey, and it allows others to take the survey and display their results on their social network or blog (those are the most common means).

It's doing quite well with the phrase 'edit'. I'd like to expand it to include quizzes, and target the phrase 'edit'. I was thinking of buying another domain and starting a website specifically for quizzes, but then I wouldn't have the benefit of an established domain.

My coder has implemented an AJAX tab system, which can be seen on the front page. Basically, after some research, I'm pretty sure that this is a horrible system because it's hard for SE to crawl it.

I'm not sure what to do? This is what I have come up with:

1. Leave it the way it is. Users will enjoy the AJAXness, but SEs definitely will not.
2. Make the tabs regular links. The quizzes tab will link to edit which will display all the quiz tables, while the index and survey tab will link to edit/.

What do you guys think?

Thanks a lot for your time!

Chris
01-13-2007, 02:07 PM
3. Add a simple text link menu in the footer that SEs and people with crappy browsers CAN follow.

MaxS
01-13-2007, 02:34 PM
To link to edit - So basically both ideas, mixed into one?

Chris
01-13-2007, 02:43 PM
Yes. Keep the links as you like, all fancy, but make sure plain jane text links are available somewhere on the page.

This issue has been faced by people with DHTML or flash menus for years. The solution mentioned is standard practice in these cases.

Shawn
01-13-2007, 02:47 PM
Heh, I found the longest form in history:

http://www.pimpsurveys.com/view-survey.php?id=737 :)

MaxS
01-13-2007, 02:48 PM
Ok, two questions.

1. Won't it throw some sort of duplicate content penalty or am I correct in assuming SEs won't spider the AJAX index anyway.
2. Can I change the title to "edit" for both the index and /quizzes/ directory? Ideally, edit will show up in the rankings, not the /quizzes/ directory - but, either way I'd be happy.

Thanks for the reply.

MaxS
01-13-2007, 02:49 PM
Heh, I found the longest form in history:

edit :)
You would be surprised, 38,000 people have taken the time to fill it out. :lol:

Shawn
01-13-2007, 02:54 PM
1. Duplicate content penalties? For navigation? If I understand that's what you mean, then no -- you won't get any penalties for navigation like yours.

Just create a text navigation alternative and you'll be fine.

Also, I bet spreading the form through a few pages (having people click Next Page) would really increase the amount of people that sign up.

The long form just looks really intimidating. Just a suggestion.

MaxS
01-13-2007, 02:56 PM
Thanks for the suggestion, Shawn - I have never thought about it that way, but I can understand your point of view. I will give it some serious thought.

Duplicate content because if you were to go the index, and click quizzes (tabs), you would see the same content as you would at edit.

Thanks!