PDA

View Full Version : Domain value please?

jono69
01-11-2007, 11:18 AM
I know it is hard to put a price on domains but do you think these two are worth anything?:

www.google-analytics-expert.com
www.google-analytics-expert.co.uk

double dashed i know. Any thoughts guys?
Thanks

Chris
01-11-2007, 11:31 AM
Not really, they use a trademark in the domain, that is a no-no. Google would eventually pressure you into giving them up.

jono69
01-11-2007, 12:10 PM
what about this:
www.google-watch.org

How come this is allowed?

Chris
01-11-2007, 12:21 PM
I'm guessing Google doesn't want to lend credence to Daniel Brandt by giving him attention.

In anycase, it is very common for companies to reinforce their trademarks by going after such domains. It kills any possible domain value.

kramerman
08-12-2007, 11:23 AM
I recently was suprised when I discovered that one of my websites ezdate123 had a domain appraisal value of over $63,000.....This value came from leapfish. I really dont know how valid this is. I dont think I would sell my entire site at that price... Has anyone had any real results with domain apprasial values and actually selling your domain at or near the appraisal price? Thanks for any feedback, MIke

Chris
08-12-2007, 12:49 PM
That valuation is bull****. Most valuations are.

KLB
08-12-2007, 01:02 PM
what about this:
www.google-watch.org

How come this is allowed?

I realize this is an old post that resurrected, but the reason Google probably hasn't gone against this site is that it criticizes Google, which is protected under free speech laws and in cases like this it is hard to prove that trademarks could be protected. Google could sue the individual into oblivion by making the cost of defending the right to use the domain name too expensive (even if the domain name owner would eventually win), however, the negative PR would be terribly expensive to Google's image. As Chris eluded to it is properly cheaper to just let the site live. Of course if the website were to be sold or begin to have a profit motive, Google could rightfully come down hard on the domain's owner.

BGray
08-13-2007, 06:39 PM
Most domain valuation services are a joke.
Moniker's has been used by some financing companies for collateral purposes but I'm not sure of any others and you'd be hard pressed to find many financial institutions that would accept any valuation.

If there is a TM violation like these examples the value should be $0 from any service.

Problem is most of them are 100% automated and don't/can't factor in Trademarks.

Cutter
08-13-2007, 11:37 PM
Take a look at http://www.dnjournal.com/domainsales.htm and give yourself an honest assessment; this seriously is not as hard as its being made out to be. I see a single domain with a dash in it making the list this year, mortgage-lenders.com for about $3k.

The TM points are correct as well. Its high risk and the only reason someone would buy a TM domain is if its making money.

kramerman
08-14-2007, 09:14 AM
I would have to think thast anyone using a "trademark" domain that was not registered by them is very ignorant of the law....I certainly would not want to be part of a law suit with any big corporation....