PDA

View Full Version : Where do bloggers get their news content?

Farmer77
01-01-2007, 08:13 PM
I see many blogs with the latest news on video games, celebrities, technology, etc. Where exactly do they get their information from? Do they take it from other niche-related websites? Please be honest, and don't tell me it's from free article directories or anything like that.

Dan Grossman
01-02-2007, 01:38 AM
Small blogs get the tips from big blogs. The big blogs that break the news first have contacts within the companies they track to leak them information, watch news wires for any press releases, and get sent sample products for review when the companies want to make something public.

briguy
01-02-2007, 08:33 AM
This is what I use to try to keep up to date..
http://www.google.com/alerts?hl=en
hopefully this helps

michael_gersitz
01-03-2007, 03:15 PM
I get google alerts too. Great Way to stay informed.

andyf
01-05-2007, 04:20 AM
As a webmaster it is important to keep an eye on what’s happening around you, so I keep track on popular blogs such as technorati , del.icio.us, seomoz, blogrankings etc and socialnetworking sites some press release sites to keep my self updated and try to rewrite articles for my blog.
I think most of the webmaster must be following the same….

chrisranjana.com
01-11-2007, 01:48 AM
Yes google alerts, rss feeds etc do help you in staying informed on the latest development and trends of our modern society.

ses5909
01-11-2007, 12:09 PM
google alerts all the way. I have about 30 phrases or keywords that i subscribe to.

Cutter
01-11-2007, 12:21 PM
I use Google Alerts for my smaller blogs, but for WebPublishingBlog I use other blogs (I'm subscribed to 166 feeds right now), forums, e-mail tips, and my own thoughts based on what I am seeing from my business.

If you've got a blog where you have a mainstream audience and monetize from adsense with organic SE traffic, then regurgitating info is fine. However, in the more competitive niche markets you really need to bring something additional to the table to stand out.

Here is an example of one thing I did. I read an article about Markus Frind on that Microsoft employees blog (I can't remember his name), I then went through multiple forums, found posts he wrote, found posts his friends wrote and so on. I tracked him down through WMW and sent him a private message or e-mail saying, hey I heard about your site, I think X, Y, and Z is really interesting, would you like to do an interview for my blog? And that was that.

Yes, thats a ton of work, and I have no ads on my blog. But, the additional credibility I gained from interviewing him has been a huge boost. When you do the extra work it sends a messages that this guy is serious about his niche and other bloggers, forum posters, etc, can't help but link to you (assuming its intriging content.)

charlesgan
01-13-2007, 10:52 AM
I see many blogs with the latest news on video games, celebrities, technology, etc. Where exactly do they get their information from? Do they take it from other niche-related websites? Please be honest, and don't tell me it's from free article directories or anything like that.

if you are a beginner, and not have own source, then RSS is a good place to source from. u have to active on ur field, games. subscribe to various rss related to video games. proceed frm there, find your direction. :ladysman: