PDA

View Full Version : Using youtube videos on a website?

ultranet
12-29-2006, 06:52 AM
Hello all!

I have a question which I needed to start my new site in future. What are the rules governing this? Can you just use them under GNU?

thanks

Chris
12-29-2006, 07:11 AM
Not really. Utube itself doesn't even have the rights to a lot of them.

Cutter
12-29-2006, 08:31 AM
This doesn't have anything to do with GNU. All you are doing is pasting a code which YouTube gives you onto your own site. As far as I can see its YouTube and the uploader's problem. In some countries posting links to copyrighted material may be a violation of copyright law, but I think its safe to say that the copyright holder is more interested in going after a multi-billion dollar company (Google.) If you are posting random videos you will probably be fine, if you make a site like "Britney Spears Music Videos" you may find yourself become a lawyer target.

izwar
01-10-2007, 08:34 PM
GO for it, makes for great content.

AmbulanceBlues
01-11-2007, 11:00 PM
There was a guy who used to visit this forum that posted South Park episodes to his site using the same method, only from a video site based in France. Later, I saw an article in Forbes magazine where they interviewed him and some others doing the same thing. He said he makes a good amount of money, enough to pay for college and living expenses. He just has to keep changing hosts. And the adds that display on his site are terrible, and not relevant at all. I assume that's because he has to scrape the bottom of the barrel for add services.

shyampc
06-13-2007, 05:51 AM
Websites that Funzu.com use the videos from other websites on their website. How are they doing this?