PDA

View Full Version : Damn Domain Squatters

deronsizemore
12-26-2006, 07:30 PM
I know this is an age old disscussion, but just thought I'd mention it again seeing as I've been trying to grab a good domain name for a new site I want to develop and it seems like every possible combination of words that I can think of for this domain are taken and none of them are developed. They're just sitting there with a parked site and a big FOR SALE sign.

roseau
12-27-2006, 01:24 PM
Well I can't speak for anyone else but I know in my situation, the domains I own - alot of them are not developped. It is not bc I registered them to sit on them to sell but rather, I had an honest intention of developping them.

But like all things in life, other stuff happens and time is short so basically I am sitting on a ton of domains. So I wouldn't call myself a squatter but I get your point at how frustrating it is to find a name.

I would rather know it was taken by someone who had legit content on it than to see it parked.

deronsizemore
12-27-2006, 07:56 PM
Well I can't speak for anyone else but I know in my situation, the domains I own - alot of them are not developped. It is not bc I registered them to sit on them to sell but rather, I had an honest intention of developping them.

But like all things in life, other stuff happens and time is short so basically I am sitting on a ton of domains. So I wouldn't call myself a squatter but I get your point at how frustrating it is to find a name.

I would rather know it was taken by someone who had legit content on it than to see it parked.

Yeah I understand that. I have a couple myself that I had full intention of developing and just never got around to it and probably wont as some more (hopefully better) ideas have popped in my head. I'll let the ones I've got that I've got no plans of developing expire when the time comes.

Xander
12-28-2006, 07:40 AM
I know how you feel, there are a lot of great domains that are just dead or parked. Its too tempting for a lot of people to buy a domain they think is good but they never end up using it so just park it, probably doesn't make them much money or a sale but they still keep it never the less. I've got a few domains that I've had for years but not had the time/money to develop them but still plan to, most I've let expire but have regretted a few!

Cutter
12-28-2006, 04:11 PM
I know what you mean, sometimes what I have to do is add an adjective, unrelated word, or even make up a word. So if I want WorldGeography.com, I might try TotalWorldGeography.com or AZworldGeography.com; of the substitution never works, e.g. GlobalGeography.com or WorldMapping.com.

Suprisingly to this day I still get domains that are *exactly* what I am looking for.