PDA

View Full Version : Need your reviews/thoughts please! ASAP

deronsizemore
12-07-2006, 05:24 PM
I'm not the web designer for the company I work for, but I've indirectly been chosen/volunteered to redo the site as I do a lot of design/development on my own time from home. Anyway...our current "webmaster" doesn't like the idea one bit as he thinks the solution we currently have for our site is a very effective solution for our web needs.

Please give me your opinions on our current site: http://www.ksba.org

And please give me your opinions on the mock up design I threw together is located here: www.deronsizemore.com/layout.jpg

By the way, our colors are the Blue/Yellow which you see in the mock up design. That is our actual logo. The current site, I have no idea where that graphic came from.

Whether you like my new design or not, please give you honest opinions about our current site as we will more than like use these opinions as evidence that we need a change. Opinions from a graphical standpoint (typography, colors, layout) and from a coding standpoint.

Thanks.

Chris
12-07-2006, 06:10 PM
Your design organizes the content better, but I prefer the colors of the current one (purple is one of my favorite colors).

deronsizemore
12-07-2006, 06:34 PM
Your design organizes the content better, but I prefer the colors of the current one (purple is one of my favorite colors).

Yeah, there is nothing wrong with purple, it's just that our logo and everything at the company is based around the Blue/Yellow of our logo. The current website doesn't incorporate the real logo anywhere in the design nor the colors. I can't understand how it all came about really.

The main point we're trying to get accross to our current webmaster is that the current one just doesn't look as professional as it could, nor does it display who KSBA is or what we do. The front page is just links which are updated everyday twice a day with news links about Kentucky School's. Our webmaster has a list of about 70 websites that he scoures every day for news on Kentucky schools and once he find the links he likes everything is updated into frontpage after it's copied and pasted from Microsoft Word (for whatever reason). It's got grainy 1990ish gifs everywhere, it's got purple, brown, red, green, blue, and grey colors everywhere. He admitted today that if he has a page where there isn't much text to go on the page, he simply increased the font size to to make it look like more content is there. So we've got some pages with 12px, 14px, 16px, etc, mixed and matched everywhere. If you look, the "need help to find a news story" at the bottom of the homepage is two links. "need" is one link and "help to find a news story" is a separate link, but they are both pointed to the same place. Just stuff like that that needs to be addressed/changed that our current webmaster see no problems at all with.

Johnny Gulag
12-07-2006, 11:50 PM
The live site looks good, but I like the new layout better, though maybe a different color for the header background. :)

deronsizemore
12-08-2006, 05:37 AM
The live site looks good, but I like the new layout better, though maybe a different color for the header background. :)

Have an idea of what could serve as a better color then the darker grey on the new site? I was having trouble finding something that you could still see the sun on and still see the dark blue of the text as well.

Chris
12-08-2006, 06:34 AM
Not every print logo works on the web. It may be that you need to edit the logo to stroke out the text a little bit to make it more ledgible.

deronsizemore
12-08-2006, 06:37 AM
Not every print logo works on the web. It may be that you need to edit the logo to stroke out the text a little bit to make it more ledgible.

Yeah, good call. I'll have to work on it a little and see what happens.