PDA

View Full Version : Have anyone tried adsblacklist.com ?

Skeewe
12-04-2006, 04:08 AM
It has purpose to cut out those "made for adsense" sites that put 1-3 cents per click ads on your site damage your earnings.

Anybody has experience with this, does it really work?
Opinions?

Westech
12-04-2006, 09:55 AM
I'm not familliar with this service, but I'm not sure exactly how it's supposed to help things. If there are better paying ads available to run on your site wouldn't adsense run them instead anyway? If there aren't better ads available then wouldn't you want these lower ads to run instead of nothing?

KLB
12-04-2006, 11:23 AM
I tried it when it was AdSenseBlacklist and through the beta phase before its relaunch. It can be a good source of domains to blacklist via your competitive ad filter, but I found it more effective (although also more time consuming) to troll my own site for MFA and garbage sites that were running ads on my AdSense slots.

Basically the idea is to look for junky sites than are obviously questionable in their merit and blocking their ads (e.g. top4{somekeyword}sites.info, ebay, etc). Basically it appears that with big budget advertisers Google is a lot more lenient with their smart pricing and Google pawns these low paying advertisers off onto their content network (aka AdSense publishers).

By actively working to filter out the worst of the junky AdWords advertisers from my AdSense ads I was able to significantly increase the eCPM of my AdSense ads both because of a better CTR and higher PPC. The reason is that Google is forced to pawn these junky ads off on some other poor schlep and was giving me better ads that my users were more interested in and paid better.

Chris
12-04-2006, 01:01 PM
By actively working to filter out the worst of the junky AdWords advertisers from my AdSense ads I was able to significantly increase the eCPM of my AdSense ads both because of a better CTR and higher PPC. The reason is that Google is forced to pawn these junky ads off on some other poor schlep and was giving me better ads that my users were more interested in and paid better.

Really? Hmm... See I always shared Westech's opinion in assuming that Google's display algorithms would automatically serve the highest paying ad.

Skeewe
12-04-2006, 01:17 PM
Anyway, I am testing it. We'll see what will be.

KLB
12-04-2006, 02:09 PM
Really? Hmm... See I always shared Westech's opinion in assuming that Google's display algorithms would automatically serve the highest paying ad.

So did I until about two months ago. I've seen one to one relationships between blocking an advertiser and increases in eCPM. In fact I noticed a big drop in my eCPM one day a couple weeks ago and saw some advertiser taking the whole banner slot for my one banner that was above the fold. It was showing up all over my site and looked like it would be totally uninteresting to my users so I blocked it. The next day my eCPM shot right back up. Then a couple days later I unblocked the advertiser just to make sure and my eCPM dropped by around 20%. I reblocked the advertiser and the next day my eCPM was back to its normal range. Keep in mind that this is based on 30,000 page views per day, so it is statistically relevant.

Here is a partial list of domains I block to give people an idea of the type of domains I look for:

50webs.com
ad2006.com
advss.us
all-free-info.com
allegromedical.com
allemule.com
alltheindustrials.com
ambiencr.com
aol.com
archivoscompartidos.com
asbestoslungcancers.info
aworldofinformation.com
be-healthy.net
become-pregnant.com
best-download-sites.com
best-healthcare.info
best4sites.net
besthomegardensites.com
biogro.us
bittorrentreviews.com
bittorrents.com
bittorrentsoftwaredownload.com
bloghog.biz
borondirectory.com
click-here-4-best.info
cohit.com
creditmoneymachine.com
creme-de-la-web.com
datamarksystems.com
dbmoz.biz
dealtime.co.uk
degreeconsultant.com
dieselsecret.com
digg4it.com
dmipartners.com
dnastudio.com
download-it-free.com
downloadlegal.com
e-softwaresource.com
ebay.com
ecloner.com
educationengine.com
emule-downloading.com
emule-muzic.com
eponym.com
eroyaltyfreeimages.net
etomihq.com
evasectomyreversal.net
ez-tracks.com
ez4search.com
ezmp3s.com
faqsdirect.com
feedpoint.net
feel21.com
file-sharing-music-downloads.com
filesharingcenter.com
finditonline.ws
finest4.com
fishscam.com
focus77.com
for-u.org
free-music.com
freedownloadnetwork.com
freemovienow.com
freemp3access.com
gammawatch.com
getbestinfo.com
getmusicfree.com
getsongsnow.com
globalinfoexchange.com
go-4-best.com
gothomepages.com
greatinfo.biz
grokster-download.com
guide2biz.com
guideya.com
he4lth.com
health-answers.org
hgh-facts.com
hosted4me.com
hot4sites.com
icreatereality.com
imusicsearch.com
incentiverewardcenter.com
industrial101.com
ineed2know.org
info-zap.com
info.com
infobeagle.com
infoforyourhealth.com
infoscouts.com
ipesquire.org
iwax.com
j-vmarketing.com
justinternetadvertising.com
justquery.com
k-lite-legal.com
k-litetk.com
kamoto.net
kazaa-lite-express.com
keane.com
kincan.com
kornax.com
law-helpers.com
legalfundinggroup.com
legalmusicaccess.com
legalranks.com
lifepeaks.com
lightspeedmovies.com
limewire2005.com
limewirehq.com
mapbid.com
maximuminformation.com
mediataskmaster.com
mediavue.net
medical-central.org
medkuz.com
megasearch.biz
memcco.com
mesothelioma-treatments.biz
mesotheliomaattorney.com
morpheusultra.com
mp3-downloadhq.com
mqsearch.com
my-free-music.com
myelectronicmd.com
mymusicinc.com
mywiseowl.com
nostradamusonline.com
oemji.com
oldfatman.net
omega3info.net
oninformation.com
op10-web-hosting.com
plexxa.com
pricetool.com
purebusiness.com
qckjmp.com
ratedsolutions.com
rebrandsoftware.com
redspot.com
revolutionarystuff.com
sarisaristor.com
savefuel.ca
savefuels.com
searchguide.biz
searchignite.com
sharemusic.org
software-finder.org
summersault.com
talkbirdy.com
teaminteract.com
thaigem.com
thefinaltheory.com
thefreeimagehosting.com
tinyurl.com
top10-web-hosting.com
toseeka.com
tripledigitprofits.com
truelocal.com
tse-ak.com
tunu.com
tvoct.net
txdot.net
vosges.com
webworks.com
wisegeek.com
yahoo.com
zptech.net

Take a look at the domain names and maybe visit some of the pages tell me that they have any use or value to users of my chemistry site. Many of them are pure MFA sites, nothing more.

Getting rid of this garbage improves the usefulness of your ads which makes them more interesting to your users. Having been going after junk advertisers for a couple months now I can say that my eCPM is up by at least 10% maybe more. Do you really want to advertise some spammy site on your site even if it is through AdSense?

Cutter
12-05-2006, 12:13 AM
I've only blocked a handful of ads myself, never tried blocking ebay or such. So perhaps Google is charging low quality advertisers more but paying out less to you?

I'm friends with the owner of this site, he's a pretty smart guy. I should point him to this thread.

KLB
12-05-2006, 07:35 AM
I really hated getting ebay ads on my site because they were for really stupid things like "new and used nuclear reactors" and their ads were always showing up. I've found that ebay clicks have a pretty low PPC and some of the ebay ads are just idiotic. Thus I block them.

KelliShaver
12-05-2006, 10:22 AM
Funny you should say that.... I just remembered getting these one time:

Weevil Sale
New & used Weevil.
Check out the deals now!
www.eBay.com

Sexy Weevil Singles
View photos, personals and hot
profiles of local singles.
www.infobert.com

KLB
12-05-2006, 10:42 AM
Those are examples of what I look for when banning ads. Obvious computer generated keyword ads like your weevil example is exactly the type of advertisers I ban. I'm telling you, blocking this crap works really well.

Todd W
12-05-2006, 04:29 PM
I have the big list on my site and I forget when I implemented it but I noticed an increase and never removed the list ;)

KLB
12-05-2006, 05:38 PM
I have yet to hear anyone who seriously worked at weeding out junk advertisers say their eCPM went down in other forums where this was discussed. Some people don't notice much of an increase, but nobody has reported going down. Some have reported as much as a 50% improvement (mine wasn't that much).

Westech
12-11-2006, 01:02 PM
I still can't fully wrap my head around this. If Google is purposely serving lower paying ads to content sites it would seem that they are acting in bad faith and inviting a huge lawsuit.

I've done a lot of reading up on this around the net and the general consenus seems to be as KLB says: Most webmasters are reporting increased Adsense revenue when blocking these sites. I'm going to try it out on one of my sites and see what happens.

Chris
12-11-2006, 02:42 PM
I have a theory it has all to do with smart pricing. Unconverting bad traffic Google supposedly wants to pay less for. So if your visitors are frequently clicking on an ad, and bouncing back, Google sees that as a nonconversion and lowers your score (they likely also lower the ad's score).

So, by removing those ads, your quality score might increase because your visitors hit the back button less after clicking an ad.

Just a theory.

KLB
12-11-2006, 04:01 PM
Chris, others have suggested the same theory and it seems plausible. When you look at the landing pages of the ads you can see why people would immediately return from those site. The ads are often misleading and simply take one to nothing more than a MFA site that is hoping they will click through yet more ads. Talk about creating a really bad user experience these types of ads are why some people are reluctant to click on ads.

If nothing else these spammy advertisers should be blocked simply to improve the experience of users when they click on those ads.

Chris
12-13-2006, 06:15 AM
When I redesigned my literature site my income jumped big time because my CTR shot up. My CTR has stayed the same in the ensuing months but my income dropped back down. I was earning less per click.

Last week I banned all the MFA sites and now my income is back up to record levels.

However, in checking the stats, it'd seem the reason it is higher now is because of CPM campaigns running on my site.

So I do not know if the blacklist is the cause of the hike or not. If the theory is correct and my quality score is higher which qualifies me for higher CPM ads or something, then maybe it still is.

Westech
12-13-2006, 08:44 AM
Did you guys get these results by banning MFA sites by creating a list at adsblacklist.com, or by manually checking for and banning MFA ads that you actually found running on your site?

Chris
12-13-2006, 10:24 AM
Both, I got the worst 4 or so offenders manually, and then pulled a list just for good measure.

KLB
12-13-2006, 01:49 PM
I had around 100 domains in my blacklist before using adsblacklist.com to add another 100 (200 total). Since we are only allowed 200 total, I've found myself having to remove some domains that adsblacklist added to make room for domains that are showing up in my AdSense slots. My opinion is that if one uses adsblacklist they should also keep a log of domains that are added by that site as opposed to domains one ads on their own.

I really wish Google would increase the allowance to like maybe 400 - 500 domains.

Chris you may have a point about improved smart pricing because of filtered domains allowing for better CPM ads.

Cutter
12-13-2006, 04:19 PM
Well, I banned ebay.com and a few others and my income has certainly not droped, the last few days have done really well.

Without a controlled test this is all anecdotal, but until I hear otherwise I'd have to say this isn't going to hurt you, and at the very least it does improve user experience.

SamOwen
12-22-2006, 08:57 PM
It can provide you with a good list, but I like to check my own ads and filter out any competitors or MFA sites manually. I only do that though when I start seeing lots of 1 cent clicks.