PDA

View Full Version : How should I go about linking my page?

Farmer77
11-27-2006, 03:17 PM
Which is better?

Front Page links to --> Categories links to ---> Specific content

or

Front page links straight to --> Specific content

The first method I see is more organized but it takes one more hop to get to the content. I would like to try the second method but it would fill the 1st page full of links. I have over a hundred pages. So how do I go about it? And how would each method effect page rank? Thank you in advance.

Chris
11-27-2006, 03:43 PM
With all the links on the frontpage you will have a more meshed internal linking structure and so less PageRank will be focused on your homepage. Additionally you'll not have category pages, and will then lose them as an option for drawing in traffic.

With the category page middle step you gain category pages, which can draw in traffic by themselves, and you have a more pyramid like linking structure which will focus more PR on your homepage.

What I would do is use the category option, but pull out any special single content pages you want to focus on and mention them directly on your homepage.

For instance on this site on the main left menu I pull out "Search Engine Optimization" and list it with the others even though it is a second level category and not a first level one.

Farmer77
11-27-2006, 03:54 PM
Thank you again very much Chris.