PDA

View Full Version : Why am I dropping in Yahoo?

Liz
11-22-2006, 03:41 PM
Does anyone know if Yahoo has made a change recently that is making a dramatic impact on search rankings? My fansite ranks consistently at #2 or #3 when you search for my artist's name in Google, and it still does. I made no significant changes to my Web site.

But on Yahoo, I have dropped from #3 with those keywords down to #7 or #8, and now today I'm at #15! I e-mailed Yahoo and asked about it a few weeks ago, but I got a useless reply. Meanwhile, they are ranking a bunch of lousy Web pages for my artist above my gigantic Web site. I don't know what to do. :(

They wouldn't be lowering my ranking because I use Google Adsense on my forums? I'm probably being paranoid, but I don't understand why my Web site has fallen so quickly and dramatically all of a sudden. And no fansites are ranked above mine, almost as if there is a commercial bias to how they're determining the ranking. I don't understand it.

By the way, I'm #15 if the artist's name is searched without quotes, and I'm #7 if the artist's name is search with quotes. I used to be #3 with or without quotes. :(

Any advice would be much appreciated. Thank you.

stymiee
11-22-2006, 04:56 PM
You can quickly dismiss the adsense theory.

As for why you might be dropping, well, the search engines are always changing their algorithms in an effort improve their SERPs. This may result in sites fluctuating either temporarily (while the update happens) or permanently (since the new algorithm determines their sites needs to be lowered). If your site really is good you have nothing to worry about. The cream eventually rises tot he top. As the search engine improves their algorithms crap gets weeded out. You just need to be patient until the next update corrects this (and it usually doesn't take long with Yahoo).

Muggle
11-24-2006, 05:15 AM
You shouldn't panic or blame Adsense, I heard that Yahoo had bought some search company with its databases, which must have enlarged the search area, if your site has significant and original content, just wait.

SandDancer
11-26-2006, 06:05 AM
It could be a change in algorythm or it could be other people who have overtaken you have been actively promoting their websites recently. Have you been keeping up your SEO?

At least it sounds like you are doing better than me. Yahoo just seems to hate anything I do :-(

Kyle
11-26-2006, 09:39 AM
Without being super generic, here are some important things to remember...

Update your site. If you're not updating, this could effect your rankings.

Try and get more incoming links. Find other fan sites out there on the given artist, and exchange links. Or request 1 way links if you aren't a fan of exchanging. Be personal in your link requesting emails.

I doubt the other sites on Yahoo are overtaking you that quickly. It could be due to lack of updating?

Would you like to share the site so I can give more specific opinions?

Chris
11-26-2006, 09:52 AM
With that many new sites I'm guessing some spammer type made a bunch of junk sites to pass you with. Redouble your SEO efforts but mostly try to be patient, the quick & easy path (spamming) never lasts.

Website Guru
12-12-2006, 06:43 AM
You can also consider submitting your site to the directories you have not had time to submit to yet. This is not a difficult way to keep your seo rolling.