PDA

View Full Version : Keyword Research and Management

flyingpylon
11-22-2006, 10:20 AM
I'm in the process of building a list of keywords for one of my sites, in an effort to expand its scope and understand which keywords are worth targeting.

As I type dozens of keywords into Excel, I can't help but wonder if it would make sense to use one of the more automated tools out there. The thing is, they all look so spammy with their mile-long direct-mail sales copy and their special offers and their unbelievable testimonials.

I don't need something to generate 8 gazillion keywords, or output hundreds of pages of nonsensical content. I just want something to help me manage the keywords I come up with (suggesting related keywords would be nice) and then give me an indication of how many searches are performed, what AdWords advertisers are paying, etc.

In short, I just want to cut through the crap. What do people here use for research and management of keywords?

Chris
11-22-2006, 10:28 AM
I don't usually check what people are paying, it isn't accurate anyways. What someone pays for a keyword doesn't always translate to what you earn through Adsense for that keyword.

But for keyword research I use Wordtracker.com's free trial, it suggests related terms and gives you popularity data. Again, you cannot use it to predict accurate traffic levels, but you can use it to do keyword comparisons and view trends. Which is what you need to do anyways.