PDA

View Full Version : Automated Backup

Todd W
10-26-2006, 12:12 PM
I forget if I started this thread or not before ... :lol:

What windows software can do incremental backup and 'full backup' at set intervals. I want to backup new/changd files nightly and COMPLETE backups monthly.

What software? I also want to do it on numerous drives.

stymiee
10-26-2006, 12:28 PM
I use SmartSync Pro and I like it. I use it to backup changed file nightly. It also can do complete backups as well.

Todd W
10-26-2006, 03:54 PM
Changed files nightly = incremental right?

I got the software and setup incremental every night at 1:30am... we'll see how it works sounds pretty awesome esp. since you can have it do a couple different things and to different drives etc. :)

Todd W
10-26-2006, 03:58 PM
I set compression to 0 (store) yet its still compressing... any ay to make it NOT compress? I know the initial backup will take a while but i'dlike to have them in uncompressed readable/usable on the backup.

stymiee
10-26-2006, 08:14 PM
Changed files nightly = incremental right? Yep. :)

I got the software and setup incremental every night at 1:30am... we'll see how it works sounds pretty awesome esp. since you can have it do a couple different things and to different drives etc.I have a couple of different profiles set up and makes organizing it a snap. What's also cool about this software is you can work while it backs up and you'd never know it was working.

I set compression to 0 (store) yet its still compressing... any ay to make it NOT compress? I know the initial backup will take a while but i'dlike to have them in uncompressed readable/usable on the backup.When you right click on the properties for a profile towards the bottom it should say "Synchronization Parameters". Make it say either 'Copy Source to Destination' or 'Synchronize Source and Destination'.

Todd W
10-26-2006, 08:34 PM
When you right click on the properties for a profile towards the bottom it should say "Synchronization Parameters". Make it say either 'Copy Source to Destination' or 'Synchronize Source and Destination'.

I don't see that stuff in right click -> properties it's at the bottom of the screen and it's also where I already have selected "incremental".

I can change it but then it's not on incremental... hrm

Here's apicture.

Todd W
10-26-2006, 08:58 PM
Copy Source to Destination is what I want i'm prett sure.

It'll check for new/changed files on my sourceand if they are modified copy to the desitation if not don't move them. This way there's no compression or incremental files and it's as if the data was written there in the first place.

Perfect exactly what I wanted.

As far as COPY OPTIONS goeson Tab 2.
-Copy if source differ from destintion is what I should use right?

Do you do any of the NTFS file copying stuff? (I run NTFS but not sure it matters)

Todd W
11-10-2006, 09:39 PM
I use SmartSync Pro and I like it. I use it to backup changed file nightly. It also can do complete backups as well.

How do I get it to backup my outlook files?

Even w/out outlook running it wont backup my mail PST (i believe that's the file type) file... it will backup safe senders, etc (even with it running). But no matter waht it wont backup my mail (that I care about)..

Any tips?
-Todd

stymiee
11-11-2006, 08:29 AM
It should be able to back up any file that is not in use regardless of file type. I am pretty sure there is an option to try to backup files that are in use. Turn that on and see if that helps.

Todd W
11-11-2006, 12:27 PM
It should be able to back up any file that is not in use regardless of file type. I am pretty sure there is an option to try to backup files that are in use. Turn that on and see if that helps.

Ok thanks.