PDA

View Full Version : Adsense Inventory

KelliShaver
10-20-2006, 01:23 AM
This is the most successful month I've had so far with adsense (yay!) and over the last few days, while my earnings have stayed level, I've noticed that every time I go to my site, none of the ad blocks seem to fill up. I may have an ad block that can hold 4-5 ads but only displays 2, for instance.... and I mean every single time I visit the site.

I realize it's perfectly normal that this happens from time to time, but it seems to happen to me all the time, so I'm wondering if it's just random bad luck on my part when viewing the site, or if it's somehow related to the fact that, over the past month, the site has more than doubled its ad income, or what.

Chris
10-20-2006, 06:31 AM
It could be random, but also realize it isn't necessarily bad. Google often experiments with such things and tests to see if you earn more or less by giving a higher paying ad more room in the unit.

KelliShaver
10-20-2006, 08:27 AM
Ah, I didn't realize they did that. I thought it was all purely based on available inventory. That's good to know, thanks. :) I take it if their "experiment" doesn't work, I'd go back to a full ad block.

Cutter
10-20-2006, 06:34 PM
Google is displaying whatever is going to make the most money. I think they may "expirement" to test out if a particular layout works better (e.g. displaying 2 ads instead of 3, placing an image next to ads, etc.) but they aren't going to "expirement" for much more than a day.

Some people get all obsessed with blocking certain ads and interfering with what Google is doing. Whatever they are doing its to make more money, not less. Someone always is saying the sky is falling, Google is a publicly traded company, all they care about is boosting that revenue quarter after quarter.

KelliShaver
10-20-2006, 07:17 PM
Yah. I've pretty much just put the ads up and let them go. I figure Google knows what they're doing, usually.

but they aren't going to "expirement" for much more than a day.

Funny you said this. I noticed my CTR has been down the past couple of days and tonight I'm back to full ad blocks again.

Whatever they're doing, coupled with what I'm doing, it's starting to work quite well (the last few months have seen a rise in earnings from essentially nothing to half my mortgage payment), so I'll just keep pushing my end and not stressing over what they're doing on theirs.

Skeewe
10-23-2006, 02:11 AM
Google is displaying whatever is going to make the most money. I think they may "expirement" to test out if a particular layout works better (e.g. displaying 2 ads instead of 3, placing an image next to ads, etc.) but they aren't going to "expirement" for much more than a day.

Some people get all obsessed with blocking certain ads and interfering with what Google is doing. Whatever they are doing its to make more money, not less. Someone always is saying the sky is falling, Google is a publicly traded company, all they care about is boosting that revenue quarter after quarter.

Do you think blocking certain ads is good thing to do?
How to know what to filter ?

Cutter
10-23-2006, 04:33 AM
I only block ads on community sites I run. For example, someone was advertising a very questionable product, bought CPM ads.

Hypothetically, it would be like a weight loss pill they advertise on TV that says *average user lost 3 lbs over 2 months. I want to build equity in the brand that a particular site is coming, so I get rid of that stuff. Its not good for your bottom line short term, but I feel long term its worth it.

If you have a site where visitors come and leave, no forum or community, then let everything run.

Watchdog
11-19-2006, 07:37 PM
I'm new here, but I am interested in understanding how all this works. I reinserted the adsense code into my website to get the min up a couple of bucks to collect it...my intentions were to drop it right after that..but I had noticed a great change in the revenue I was "not making" and that was the reason I dropped the program...now were doing very well again and as for the one ad per spot? I get this often, but too I have a real nice revenue stream from them so all is well

Adwords - thats another story :(

Hey My name is watchdog and I look forward to all this info:)

Chris
11-19-2006, 07:40 PM
Adsense can vary widely from publisher to publisher and week to week. It is different from other ad networks in that it is not just a few dozen to a few hundred advertisers being served at a time. It is literally hundreds of thousands of advertisers.

With that many people there is a lot of variability going on. For instance I did much better in October than so far in November. The reason, as far as I can tell, is that Starbucks stopped running adsense ads on my site. They were doing CPM ones in October that paid nicely.

Another publisher might have a new advertisers this month and be doing better than in October.

So most people have fairly unique experiences with adsense and you should expect fluctuations.