PDA

View Full Version : Paid Sitepoint Advertisement

Westech
10-03-2006, 04:19 PM
This might be old news, but I just ran across it and it cracked me up!

http://www.sitepoint.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=409827

Chris
10-03-2006, 07:27 PM
That isn't even the owner of DP posting, must just be a fan.

stymiee
10-03-2006, 09:54 PM
That guy HATES SitePoint. He loves to complain about their MarketPlace fees and tells everyone to boycott them and not pay their fees. But guess what he does? He pays for listings at SitePoint as much as anyone else. Oh, he's like 15, too. Big surprise.

Todd W
10-04-2006, 09:16 AM
OT: Didn't sitepoint just raise their fees too?

KLB
10-04-2006, 10:11 AM
Now that was funny. Although if he checked Alexa stats he'd see that DP gets a lot more traffic than SP, which he could have exploited in his ad.

stymiee
10-04-2006, 11:26 AM
OT: Didn't sitepoint just raise their fees too?
They did several months back.

Mike
10-04-2006, 12:47 PM
That's great, I suppose Sitepoint couldn't find a reason to block the ad either :)

I can't access Alexa, but I'm amazed that DP gets more traffic than SP. I didn't know DP was that big!

Todd W
10-04-2006, 01:01 PM
That's great, I suppose Sitepoint couldn't find a reason to block the ad either :)

I can't access Alexa, but I'm amazed that DP gets more traffic than SP. I didn't know DP was that big!

DP's grown a LOT.
A lot of "larger" names are posting on DP now instead of WMW and SP.

It seems a LOT/MOST ppl are concentrating on PPC right now for MAF or ARB. sites... so for those of us doing content sites the competition I believe has actually gone down ;)

Chris
10-04-2006, 02:03 PM
SitePoint is still much larger, double the posts, 3x the members. 4x the number of people browsing right now (but when you don't count guests they only have 125% the amount). Plus when you consider SitePoint's alexa rating is also powered by their main site, I'm going to chalk up DP being higher as just another example of Alexa being inaccurate.

Although I'm sure DP will catch WMW soon, WMW has never truly been altogether that popular, and their various forays into blocking content for unregistered people haven't helped. DP will probably pass WMW in total posts in a year.

What'd be really interesting is having admin access to both (sp & dp) forums and checking their statistics. VB's built in admin statistics are pretty nice for viewing overall trends.

DigitalPoint too I think is more webmaster or website publisher geared whereas SitePoint has a definite bias towards developers.

KLB
10-04-2006, 02:22 PM
For what it is worth, here is an Alexa comparison between DigitalPoint, SitePoint & WebmasterWorld (http://www.alexa.com/data/details/traffic_details?compare_sites=sitepoint.com+www.we bmasterworld.com&range=1y&size=large&y=t&url=forums.digitalpoint.com).

While Alexa stats are relative, all three sites are in the same niche so we are comparing apples to apples. The page views graph will be scewed a little between WebmasterWorld and DP/SP simply because WMW runs on different forums software resulting in a different number of page views required to complete a task.

Oh, I would agree with the comment that hyper sticky sites like forums and MySpace are killing the rankings of normal content sites that don't generate a mess of "bogus" page views as part of the process of processing postings.

Chris
10-04-2006, 07:41 PM
Its not entirely an apples to apples comparison. DP has more marketer types that SP does, these people are more likely to run alexa.

Hell I saw a guy advertise a crappy directory in his signature in DP and it's alexa rating was 26k, this thing had a PR of 3 and like 200 total listings. Thats probably just from his own usage and people clicking on his signature there.

KLB
10-04-2006, 10:15 PM
Its not entirely an apples to apples comparison. DP has more marketer types that SP does, these people are more likely to run alexa.

Hell I saw a guy advertise a crappy directory in his signature in DP and it's alexa rating was 26k, this thing had a PR of 3 and like 200 total listings. Thats probably just from his own usage and people clicking on his signature there.
Well it may be Golden Delicious vs. Granny Smith, but at those traffic levels the percentages aren't going to be that scewed. I mean there is a pretty significant difference between DP and SP.

Chris
10-05-2006, 06:25 AM
Except that one can look at the public traffic stats and see that it should be the other way around.

In either case its not like we're talking thousands of alexa users, more like dozens, making the difference.

Also it appears alexa is grouping DP's main site with their forums too, so everyone who checks their stats daily with DP's keyword checker would be counted even if they don't visit the forums.

Not that I have a huge love for SitePoint, but it is still the most popular forum.

KLB
10-05-2006, 07:45 AM
Also it appears alexa is grouping DP's main site with their forums too, so everyone who checks their stats daily with DP's keyword checker would be counted even if they don't visit the forums.

Not that I have a huge love for SitePoint, but it is still the most popular forum.
At the same token, Alexa is is counting all of SP's traffic not just their forum traffic as well and SP really does work at building up and promoting their articles/books.

Another thing that should be looked at is longer term trends. While DP's Alexa stats are remaining steady to climbing over the last four months, SP's have been falling. In April SP's rank was around 220 but has now fallen to around 330 DP on the other hand has been holding steady at the 130 range. At that high of a ranking, this is significant no matter how you spin it.

DP is really lax about their moderation and have an almost anything goes attitude. While this really is a Wild West frontier town like atmosphere that attracts all sorts of riffraff it also makes DP feel much less restrictive than SP or WMW. SP's policy changes over the past years have made it much less appealing to post there. I don't think this spells the doom of SP as traffic isn't everything but there is a trend.

Chris
10-05-2006, 08:13 AM
Oh definitely there is a trend. I just don't buy it that DP has more traffic (yet anyways).

KLB
10-05-2006, 09:01 AM
I do know that DP can really influance other sites. For instance anytime someone posts a "go here and vote for 'X'" (e.g. last year's SP elections) the result of the target poll get sckewed in the target direction. The lastest case is a poll for Animal Planet channel's Animal Planet Hero of the year. Literally that poll is being totally swayed by efforts on DP. Before Digg banned DP, quite often when a thread on DP was posted to Digg the thread would get bumped to the front page of Digg.

There are threads on DP that can stay very active for a couple of months and it is quite common for some thread to exceed 1,000 posts. When some topic goes hot over there it can get twenty pages of posts within a couple of days.