PDA

View Full Version : Gmail spam

Blue Cat Buxton
09-26-2006, 09:16 AM
I use my gmail account primarily for google alerts, and for other "sign up here to recieve our newsletter" type services, so I only check the account infrequently.

Just looked today and there are 791 items of spam in the last month (it clears out stuff older than one month)

Now Gmail has caught and identified all of these as spam (and it gets most items of spam, which is great), BUT, what if there is a genuine email in that lot?

No way I'm going through that much email to check for legitimate stuff.

One good reason not to use gmail as your only and main email address I guess.

deronsizemore
09-26-2006, 10:21 AM
I think this is true with any email address. I mean, if you're signing up for "receive out newsletter" type stuff, then you gotta expect lots of spam.

Todd W
09-26-2006, 12:15 PM
My g-mail gets a lot mroe spam than my other e-mail accounts and I RARELY give it out. I'm thinking it depends who has your e-mail and who passes it along!

I've found the best thing to block spam is to make the sender verify they are a real person... that software that auto-emails back.

deronsizemore
09-26-2006, 06:28 PM
My g-mail gets a lot mroe spam than my other e-mail accounts and I RARELY give it out. I'm thinking it depends who has your e-mail and who passes it along!

I've found the best thing to block spam is to make the sender verify they are a real person... that software that auto-emails back.

What software does that?

Blue Cat Buxton
09-27-2006, 01:54 AM
Spamarrest.com