PDA

View Full Version : Who Doesn't Like Cookies?

AmbulanceBlues
09-24-2006, 11:13 PM
I'm working on learning PHP/MySQL and I'm wondering if I should bother with cookies. I remember a long time ago there was alot of wailing and gnashing of teeth about how terrible cookies are; but you don't hear (at least I don't) alot about it these days.

My point is: Are cookies something anyone here uses, and are they something that could be useful in my webdev toolbox?

KelliShaver
09-24-2006, 11:22 PM
Cookies, when used appropriately, are very useful, yes.

Chris
09-25-2006, 06:27 AM
Cookies are vital to functionality of websites. Most of the public "uproar" about them is misplaced, they're really quite safe.

shayisaac
09-25-2006, 10:58 PM
Cookies are vital to functionality of websites. Most of the public "uproar" about them is misplaced, they're really quite safe.

but wut is exactly this "cookies" are?

Johnny Gulag
09-25-2006, 11:06 PM
but wut is exactly this "cookies" are?http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=javascript+cookies&btnG=Google+Search

coleblitz
10-19-2006, 09:48 AM
Well I feel the cookies are unnecessary unless u really need to store some info on the comp........
I personally stay away from cookies.......sessions so far are doing just great

bbolte
10-20-2006, 03:00 PM
but sessions can have a higher overhead if used improperly.

KLB
10-20-2006, 06:59 PM
Cookies have their place like keeping us logged into this forum or remembering our Google News preferences. I think, however, cookies are over used and abused and in general I don't like them, but I've also resigned to the fact that we can't escape them. The only time I use them personally is to maintain user log ins, however, all of my third party advertisers also push cookies with their ads.

Chris
10-20-2006, 07:15 PM
A lot of ad cookies are beneficial to the user, such as making sure you see only 1 popunder per session, or making sure you don't see the same ad more than once. Not really a bad thing.

KLB
10-21-2006, 09:25 AM
A lot of ad cookies are beneficial to the user, such as making sure you see only 1 popunder per session, or making sure you don't see the same ad more than once. Not really a bad thing.
True, but I don't use annoying things like popups/popunders.

Mal
10-26-2006, 07:24 AM
Cookies are disliked by the general public due to Internet magazines or articles in standard magazines telling them they were a security risk in the 90s. I don't think the average Internet user realises they are just text files.

KelliShaver
10-26-2006, 10:37 PM
From what I've seen of the dozens of computers I've repaird over the past year, the average user doesn't do anything to block them, either.

ASP-Hosting.ca
11-06-2006, 09:42 AM
Yes, you should learn how to use cookies, as they have many important applications like user tracking, conversions, login systems, etc.

AmbulanceBlues
11-09-2006, 10:18 AM
In retrospect, it was a bit of a stupid question. At the time my only knowledge of cookies was really old paranoid rhetoric about how bad they were. But since I've been studying I've figured out that few if any people/organizations block them. Even the draconian computer security measures at my place of work don't address cookies.