PDA

View Full Version : Frustrated, Overwhelmed, etc.

Todd W
09-23-2006, 01:19 PM
So, who here is frustrated and feels like they can't keep up with everything themselves?

I have so many ideas written on paper, so many domains needing development, and more.

The problem I have is finding a way to have OTHER people help/work for me. I get frustrated because they are needing to be under constant supervision for multiple reasons. One reason is so that they know what I need done, and what is required of them. I get frustrated having to type up a page or two to explain what needs to be completed.

The ONLY task I have found that I can 100% assign to someone is web design.

I am frustrated because lets say I have an idea for a subscription site but the data is in HTML and needs to be in MySQL. Well I can hire a programmer and then explain EXACTLY how the DB needs to be organized and get them to get it going... but I just feel it's a HUGE waste of time because 1. they could steal all my data and 2. I have to spend a good hour EXPLAINING how to do it and I could be working on the php/mysql coding myself during that time.

In the end I end up not explaining to a programmer, and not doing it myself and getting the feeling of being "further" behind in my ideas, sites, and goals.

I have thought of some alternative solutions and they include hiring a full-time programmer. Someone who is good at programming but not good and not interested in the business I do. I pay them to do the tasks and they do them with no itnerest in my stuff... OR I find someone who IS interested in what I do and let them in for a % of the profits. Either way I am fearful someone is going to start copying my ideas esp. since if they are programming them they will have all back-end data and coding to compete wtih me in a day or less.

Another reason I'm so frustrated is that i've had bad luck finding quality programmers who understand 100% what I say, and what needs to be done. If I say I need the data from this html document in a mysql db I expect them to be able to do it and not ask me 500 questions or to take 4 hours.

When I was looking for a full-time programmer I had bids on the same project ranging from 400 to 3000. Not because they wanted to screw me and get $3,000 but because their skill level was so low it would take them 2 weeks to complete a site I know I could do myself in a 1-3 days. GRRRRRR

What do you guys do to solve this problem?

Cutter
09-23-2006, 01:54 PM
How much programming experience do you yourself have? Also, where have you been looking for programmers?

Emancipator
09-23-2006, 02:48 PM
I think your dealing with the wrong people. If you want drop me a line Todd. I dont normally program for others but if your serious I will see if I can possibly help.

Todd W
09-23-2006, 04:04 PM
How much programming experience do you yourself have? Also, where have you been looking for programmers?

Curious - Why does it matter how much programming expierence I have? (Not to be rude, just curious.)

And to answer, I believe I've been programming in PHP since 2001/2002 maybe. When I go back and look at some sites I coded a long time ago, and even ones from 03/04 it's incrediblehow much my style and programming has changed!!

I posted on sitepoint and got 20+ responses, I found someone good but like mentioned before they are in same business so having someone program who also does what you do is kind of "iffy" for me. I also have some great programmers in India Ihave used. The worry of someone using my idea, and the not-so fun duty of writing pages detailing what I need stop me from using them :( :(

Chris
09-23-2006, 06:45 PM
A good developer is definitely hard to come by.

chromate
09-24-2006, 10:27 AM
I've not really needed to hire a programmer, as I prefer to code things myself so I'm familiar with the (usually bad) code. :)

But have you tried rentacoder.com? You might be able to find someone there.