PDA

View Full Version : who remembers typing up their first html page?

vahsi000
09-23-2006, 01:05 AM
Now that i look back to recap everything i've done over the years, i try to remember the day i typed my first html page but im having difficulties remembering, does anyone remember that first time?

James
09-23-2006, 01:57 AM
I remember the first time I made any page.

It was with maxpages.com and their (now) terrifying interface.

The first HTML page I made was with AngelFire, and had more stuff from bravenet than you can comprehend; best of all, nearly 100% of it was broken, and all of it was redundant.

vahsi000
09-23-2006, 02:07 AM
did you code it yourself? or did you use something like the yahoo's page builder?

deronsizemore
09-23-2006, 07:24 AM
I remember my first page when I was about 13. I was a die hard professional wrestling fan and that's what the site was about. lol. It used to still be online, but I can't find it. I'll have to post it if I do. It was at geocities I think

stymiee
09-23-2006, 08:01 AM
I remember mine. I was typing HTML into Geocities' Geobuilder software for my personal homepage. In fact, the first ever HTML I ever typed was a table to make my navigation bar. :)

Chris
09-23-2006, 09:59 AM
I remember, 1993 or 1994, on Prodigy, did it by hand by coping bits of the source from other sites + trial & error.

AmbulanceBlues
09-23-2006, 11:30 AM
Mine was a Star Wars play-by-email game site that never took off when I was like 13. (NERD ALERT) I had to learn to make my own site because the Wing Commander PBM I had been writing for got canned. Yes, I am a manly man.

deronsizemore
09-23-2006, 11:33 AM
Ahh, I found it http://members.tripod.com/~deathdrop1/dwp.html

Now, don't be jealous of this site...or start ripping my content!!

Todd W
09-23-2006, 11:44 AM
I remember starting my own BBS does that count :redface:

Johnny Gulag
09-23-2006, 11:48 AM
I remember following tutorials over at Webmonkey for my first site. It's funny to think back to the very beginnings.

James
09-23-2006, 12:12 PM
After Angelfire I started coding myself. I regressed into WYSIWYG around 1999, but around 2000 or 2001 I started learning CSS which forced me back into raw-coding HTML and away from stupid DHTML "Hey look, this box can slide magically in Dreamweaver and do something completely different in my browser!" stuff in Dreamweaver :P

vahsi000
09-23-2006, 07:21 PM
Ahh, I found it http://members.tripod.com/~deathdrop1/dwp.html

Now, don't be jealous of this site...or start ripping my content!!

Me Eyes, Me Eyes... I can't see, lol. I remember I used some wallpaper for the first hand coded html page of mine for the background (it was pretty cool actually at the time with the marquee sliding from side to side). Yes my first website was with geocities, i used their templates fir my first dbz site.

deronsizemore
09-23-2006, 08:05 PM
Me Eyes, Me Eyes... I can't see, lol. I remember I used some wallpaper for the first hand coded html page of mine for the background (it was pretty cool actually at the time with the marquee sliding from side to side). Yes my first website was with geocities, i used their templates fir my first dbz site.

Lol...what cracks me up about my site the most is if you look at the email me link toward the bottom of the page, you'll notice that I didn't know enough to just put text over the background, so I tried to create an image with the same background pattern as the site with the words "email me", all while trying to get the background pattern of the "email me" pic to match up with the site background. Didn't work out to well.

KLB
09-25-2006, 06:58 AM
I typed my first webpage by telneting into a NeXT server and using the command line text editor Pico (I didn't really like the text editor vi). I'd use other webpages as guides and would type in HTML tag arrangements based on those pages. Every now and then I'd save refresh my web browser and see if I got the look I wanted. A very exciting day for me was when I discovered FTP, which allowed me to use Windows Notepad and then push the files to the server. Being able to use Notepad and then FTP the files over was a quantum leap forward.

masm50
10-04-2006, 02:53 PM
Mine was for a project back at school in 1996 or so where I did one along the lines of MTV's celebrity death match for my classmates ;)

-Tim

CDavid
10-09-2006, 12:31 PM
My first website was one I created with a software created CoffeeCup, and it was about my Duke Nukem 3D Kali Clan.

My team was called Krazy Klown Killers and the webpage's title had KKK in it. Never figured out why we had so many hate messages left on our bulletin board ::brickwall :confused:

DukeNukem...now that is what I call wasted youth....

Farmer77
11-10-2006, 03:16 AM
I still remember. It was back in late 1997 and I used tripod.com to make my first html page. Back then everything was so new, that you were able to hotlink off of websites like Geocities and Tripod. It was pretty awesome.